Going to Uni

Currently reading:
Going to Uni

I'm off to uni in September and I plan not to get smashed at all.

I also plan to do well.

If I don't, my wife may stab me.

However, if I'd gone to uni when I was younger, I suspect my attitude may have been different. I also suspect I may have regretted it later.

Go, you can always have a weekend job for funds, I worked in an incoming travel call centre and earned over £10k a year for the 2 days a week, was great fun. My closest friend at uni was feeling the same as you and she did a year of rubbish jobs before she realised uni was the best option.
I'd strongly suggest that if there is an option on your degree that you do a sandwich course with a year placement, the work experience will be hugely beneficial when you leave.

I saw the post about someone leaving Uni and earning £40k - that is NOT usual. Out of all my close friends (we left uni 2006) we're all on roughly £20-£30k.
I had to work unpaid for a good while to get my foot into the advertising world. My friend graduated in forensics and had to do some NHS temp work before she went into project management (she probably earns the most out of us all I think) My other 3 friends all went into the creative side and started on about £15k and my OH whos an Environmental Engineer is still on a very poor wage for a graduate (but that is probably just the climate at the moment).

Having a degree does open doors but I'd have a look at the kind of career you want and see what qualifications they're after before you go, could you work your way up and do uni on day release in a few years?

Its a great life experience and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Best of Luck!

If you're going to university and as said studying Computer Science the first year is a piece of ****.

As long as you know a little boolean algebra, the home programming language (either Java or C++/C#) you'll fly through the first year easily as I did :) I am looking forward to my second year and study internet technologies more indepth (alongside Java) :D

Any questions do feel free to give me a buzz :)

I'm off to uni in September and I plan not to get smashed at all.

I also plan to do well.

If I don't, my wife may stab me.

However, if I'd gone to uni when I was younger, I suspect my attitude may have been different. I also suspect I may have regretted it later.

Well said mate, I went to uni when i was 18, but I did have went with the attitude that I will do the best i could.

I also went to uni(s) for 5 years, got 2 bits of paper at the end tho.

Ming

Its because I am required to do a foundation year; my automotive engineering course requires maths and physics, and yeah I didn't choose them at A level so I have to do a year which covers the fundamentals of it.

Then the course is as normal, 4 year with one year in industry.

I simply cannot wait.

Here it's masters in electronics with a year in Industry. Tis win.

Where you going to Uni, BTW?

Even though I left uni," I would generally advise anyone to try it. But like with what has been said don't just expect a job. In the next few years I know it will be even worse for uni graduates, just think by the time your finished there will be thousands more already graduated looking for jobs. And keep your eye out with what's happening with fees. They could be £21,000 alone before you even think about living.

Stay on at university as long as you have sufficient funds/funding to do so. If not, go out and work... But getting your degree at uni is a £10,000/£15,000 a year pay rise from BTEC... My brother has just got a 2.1 in Computer Science and has now got a job for £40,000 a year straight off :rolleyes: So learning from my brother experiences... id say its worth it. :D

There is always a lucky person you hear about getting that dream job, your brother had the added benefit of coming from Cambridge. But ask him who else off his course has got a job like that.

Nice!

I wish I would have known what I wanted to do as a career at the start of sixth form then I could have taken the relevent subjects. My uni options would have been much for variable. Sheff don't do the physics/maths foundation year tho.

Meh. Now as I come to the end of my placement year I have less idea than ever of what I want to do (y)

Back