Going to Uni

Currently reading:
Going to Uni

so im finishing college next week and applied to do a degree at UEA in Norwich

im currently doing a btec national diploma in IT and should get a DDD which is 3 a levels at A grade the course iv applied for at uni is computer sciences imaging and multimedia

but i cant decide if i want to go

some days im really up for it and cant wait other days im not so sure and feel like iv had enough of education and just want to get a job in my chosen field and work up that way

right now i feel like looking for jobs and even applying for them but im so unsure
its really doing my head in

i know alot of people hear are in uni or have done it and im sure there is probably at least one person thats in a similar situation as me so im asking if you could share you opinion on what i should do or anything else that is relevant

thanks in advance

so im finishing college next week and applied to do a degree at UEA in Norwich

im currently doing a btec national diploma in IT and should get a DDD which is 3 a levels at A grade the course iv applied for at uni is computer sciences imaging and multimedia

but i cant decide if i want to go

some days im really up for it and cant wait other days im not so sure and feel like iv had enough of education and just want to get a job in my chosen field and work up that way

right now i feel like looking for jobs and even applying for them but im so unsure
its really doing my head in

i know alot of people hear are in uni or have done it and im sure there is probably at least one person thats in a similar situation as me so im asking if you could share you opinion on what i should do or anything else that is relevant

thanks in advance

Stay on at university as long as you have sufficient funds/funding to do so. If not, go out and work... But getting your degree at uni is a £10,000/£15,000 a year pay rise from BTEC... My brother has just got a 2.1 in Computer Science and has now got a job for £40,000 a year straight off :rolleyes: So learning from my brother experiences... id say its worth it. :D

there is not a lot of jobs out there, may as well do a few years at uni waiting for the economy to pick up

yeah i did think that but will it sort out in 3 years do you reckon?

Stay on at university as long as you have sufficient funds/funding to do so. If not, go out and work... But getting your degree at uni is a £10,000/£15,000 a year pay rise from BTEC... My brother has just got a 2.1 in Computer Science and has now got a job for £40,000 a year straight off :rolleyes: So learning from my brother experiences... id say its worth it. :D

cheers yeah you can definitely get in at higher levels but i am worried about not being able to get a job when im done

can i ask what the job is your brother is doing?

Its a project manager in Cambridge, that is all i know. Most universitys get you to do a full CV just before you finish your degree so that they can send them off to theses websites and then they can get back to you on jobs, hes had 8 interviews and got offered 5 jobs :rolleyes: I (with 8 GCSE's A-C) have applied for about 30 jobs, had 6 interviews and now have one job...

When you get educated as much as that, they bite your hands off... Gets on my nerves. So just don't worry about not getting a job, University is the way to go mate, just keep on track of the work and you'll be fine!

HI. I too am planning on going to uni, in september.

I can't wait to get away!! Not to say that I don't like living at home, because I do. I love living at home with my mum and my dad as I get along with them but going to uni this year holds many things. I get new scenery (sheffield hallam), I loved the place when I went on the open day. Another factor is the new friends I'll get to meet, being a very sociable and outgoing person this is one of the most important things for me :). Also the chance to live on my own, doing stuff independantly. Its going to hit me hard straight away, doing my own shopping and washing etc but I guess its all the part of growing up! I have never ever heard of someone not enjoying uni so its got to be good right!? I remember last year I was contemplating leaving sixth form to get a job but can't believe how stupid I was to even think that when I can get to uni and experience something new! Plus both of my sisters went to uni, so I have to follow the trend ;). Whuch uni are you planning on going to.

I'm in the exact same boat, but I see it this way: You could regret not going to Uni when you had the chance, but you won't regret not going to work when you had the chance... So, like me, you may as well give it a go, and if you don't like it, then leave. At least then you'll know what it's all about, you'll have given it a go, and have then had decided that it's not the path for you. Whereas if you don't give it a go, then you could always be wondering 'what if?'.

In this market there are lots of people going for very few jobs. You need something to give you the edge over the other 100 people applying.

You are in a catch 22 situation. 1 out of 1000 employers may see you as cheap labour and train you up on the Job. The other 999 will see you as too much effort to train you up. Also if you were to get a job then you will be pretty much stuck there as you are not qualified.

Its probably way too late now but you could have got a Job with a HE scheme to qualify on the Job. These are probably few and far between and you should have been looking into this at the beginning of the year so you had the choice to work or uni.

My advice is to go to uni. I would try and keep your Debt levels down as low as possible. I did and think it was one of the best decisions i made.

What ever you do, dont go becuase everyone else was (thats what i did:p). Plan payed off for ,me and i love it but afew people like me hate it and just as much money can be made with just a few extra years if training ( Apprenticeships). These make it debt free. As said before, theres no jobs at the momnet for my degree (civil engineering), well in this country as not many firms or governments are building large scale projects.

it depends what you are going to uni for, the education, or the life? i chose an apprenticeship (im doing engineering though not IT) and i love it. i get paid to do a course, and work, and in a year or 2 i get the oppurtnity of a HNC, and/or a foundation degree, which is paid for by my company. when i qualify, il be on 34k as well, so iv landed well. we have a great laugh as well at college, and cos its near covfentry, we still get advanatge of student nights (y)
im just saying, dont rule out apprentcehsips :), but at the end of the day its what you want.
i couldnt decide between what 6 form to go to a couple years back, and in the end i chose by flipping a coin :p lol, so you could always do that

I was in a very similar situation, applied for uni, got offered the place, already had the grades I needed. However, when I was at college I felt they kept pressing us to go to uni, most of my coursework in the second year was to do with what we wanted to do in uni and jobs after. Because of this I was put of the idea of uni, picked a course that had the lowest UCAS points needed just to shut them up (Only needed 80 I think, which I got from my first year). More I thought about it, more I was put off the idea, didn't like the idea of getting into so much debt at such a young age, and getting a degree in something that wont really help with any other jobs apart from in Radio.

Increased my hours at Tescos, and then decided to join the Police, so far...not looked back. Just need to them open the doors for Regulars lol.

cheers everyone

debt im not to worried about its the cheapest money going and if i completely fail at life i don't have to pay it back, my sister done uni and she paid her loan of really quickly

i suppose one of my biggest worries is getting there and finding it to hard and falling behind

i suppose one of my biggest worries is getting there and finding it to hard and falling behind

I wouldn't worry about it, I was thinking that and have managed it.

If you go to UEA and ever need any help with anything locally give us a scream, I'm only 30min down the road but have spent the last 5 years in the 5miles surrounding UEA ;)

Back