Going to give my car an oil change...

Currently reading:
Going to give my car an oil change...

It is not only the sump that holds oil and has to drain.
On modern (D)OHC engines, a fair amount of (used) oil will stay in the head to lube the camshaft(s), at start up.
By keeping the car level, you really will get the most oil out, it is designed to do so by the manufacturer.
It is very well possible you will drain the sump, but not the heads, as intended by the factory, by jacking up the front....!
No dealer or decent workshop will ever jack any car up to get the oil out...!!
(n)

Hmm well my 2005 1.4 Punto Sporting had about 10 oil changes done by me in its life by jacking the car up. I covered 125,000miles without a single engine problem...

It really doesn't make that much difference. if you can keep the car level (I.e On a Lift) great but most people don't have a lift in their garden so trolley jack and stand are fine.

It is not only the sump that holds oil and has to drain.
On modern (D)OHC engines, a fair amount of (used) oil will stay in the head to lube the camshaft(s), at start up.
By keeping the car level, you really will get the most oil out, it is designed to do so by the manufacturer.
It is very well possible you will drain the sump, but not the heads, as intended by the factory, by jacking up the front....!
No dealer or decent workshop will ever jack any car up to get the oil out...!!
(n)

I'm sorry, but this logic just hasn't been thought through, with the exception of possibly driving the car up onto ramps, when jacking the front the car is likly to have sat for the prior 10-15 min while getting all the kit out, this should be ample time for the majority of what you've have described to drain into the sump.

Correct you're never going to drain 100% of the oil in any engine, but with regular oil changes this shouldn't cause an issue.

MEP you said it right

You never remove all the oil

Not only is it important to change filter to filter that ""cruddy"" bits out
But its important to keep a general overal healthy oil setup :)

I Do prefer the Cam cover off to replace the seal and slosh the lovely new oil all over the shiny parts - ensures a nice clean start as well :)

I know its not going to get into all the caps and bearing shells but it means the head kinda gets washed down to start with - so start up - oil sucked up - cleaned and used :)

Ziggy

depends what sort of change your doing
in past when overdue a change
ive dropped oil filled with cheap fresh with cleaner
gone for a drive
come home drop oil and filter to renew

ziggy

:yeahthat: a far bett method than oil flush crap, awful stuff Which will often cause more harm than good (n)

Back