General Going to buy a 1.9 sporting

Currently reading:
General Going to buy a 1.9 sporting

1.9JTM

Hello all,

This will be my first car and as i've managed to bag myself a nice job i want to get a really good car, the sportingl offers the performance, economy and looks i want. Bare in mind i'm only 18 and will be taking out a loan to get the car, so i want everything to be as good as it gets.

Now im looking at buying used with a small mileage but am unsure on a few things. Should i go for a car with the large sunroof, doesnt this just weigh the car down and end up squeaking in old age? Also nobody seems to list the subwoofer option as part of features of the car, is this a feature for new cars thats only been introduced?

Once i acquire the car im also thinking about getting the ECU remap from celtic tuning as it sounds mouth watering and an offer i cant refuse!

Are others really happy with their car? Im looking at getting myne in orange as it looks pretty mean!

Thanks for your help ;)

hi there a 1.9 m-jet sporting is a good car especially it being your 1st car.as for the skydome sunroof(£650) you mention you want on the car you will be hard pushed to find one on a used or pre registered gp as these are made to order but you never know whats out there as for the remap thats a must ounce the engine is truly run. estimated "170 bhp":) all gp are heavily discounted about £2k off manufacturers price.the orange paint is a extra as well round about £300.but shop around get a test drive too.the usual.hope you get what you are looking for:)

My 1.9 sporting was £9999, one owner, 6.5k miles when i brought it. You can save quite a bit getting a low mileage used car. The subwoofer has always been an option and from what people say on here doesnt make a huge difference.

You won't be disappointed.

If i was you, seeing as its your first car, id give it a while before you get it remapped. They are fun to drive as it is, and having your first car with 170 bhp and 250 ish ft lbs might not be a good idea.

My 1.9 sporting was £9999, one owner, 6.5k miles when i brought it. You can save quite a bit getting a low mileage used car. The subwoofer has always been an option and from what people say on here doesnt make a huge difference.

You won't be disappointed.

If i was you, seeing as its your first car, id give it a while before you get it remapped. They are fun to drive as it is, and having your first car with 170 bhp and 250 ish ft lbs might not be a good idea.

yeah i agree fast enough unmapped for a young 1st car driver:)

Hey guys, thanks for the replys!

I was always intending on getting a low mileage used car as the savings are too good to miss out on. I have found quite a broad range of used GPs with the sunroofs im just not sure if i like the look of them, they kinda ruin the aesthetics of the car for me. However i must agree i doubt there is much extra weight.

I'm definetly going for a GP just need to sort out finance and then do the deed, cant bloody wait! Will make sure to update everyone when i get my little beauty.

About the ECU upgrade, i will see how it goes im sure the stock model is still pretty useful but you never know when you might need that extra bit of kick!

Thanks for the helpful comments guys.

Hey guys, thanks for the replys!

I was always intending on getting a low mileage used car as the savings are too good to miss out on. I have found quite a broad range of used GPs with the sunroofs im just not sure if i like the look of them, they kinda ruin the aesthetics of the car for me. However i must agree i doubt there is much extra weight.

I'm definetly going for a GP just need to sort out finance and then do the deed, cant bloody wait! Will make sure to update everyone when i get my little beauty.

About the ECU upgrade, i will see how it goes im sure the stock model is still pretty useful but you never know when you might need that extra bit of kick!

Thanks for the helpful comments guys.
no problem any time (y)

Really dont think the weight of the sunroof will make any difference, personally I like the look of it. I would wait on the remap, I'm sure it will be quick enough and bearing in mind your insurance will go up if you actually inform them.

I'd wait for a while until you get it mapped mate. Get used to the power first, you're having a 130bhp car as your first car so just take it steady.

BUT I don't know your driving style, some idiots are destined to crash whether they drive a ferrari or a 1.0L fiesta, and some people are sensible drivers.

BUT I don't know your driving style, some idiots are destined to crash whether they drive a ferrari or a 1.0L fiesta, and some people are sensible drivers.

agree with that, almost all my friends have either written off a car or 2 and in one case 3. but touch wood i haven't, people say all young drivers are the worst and race around everywhere, but this isn't partly true, its just the odd few who give us good drivers a bad name. (y)

good luck with the car too :D

agree with that, almost all my friends have either written off a car or 2 and in one case 3. but touch wood i haven't, people say all young drivers are the worst and race around everywhere, but this isn't partly true, its just the odd few who give us good drivers a bad name. (y)

good luck with the car too :D

True, but all young drivers have very little 'on road' experience. You have a car remapped so its quicker, so you will accelerate quicker on the road and use the extra performance. Otherwise why have it done?? The remap makes the 1.9 pretty darn quick, in my opinion, too quick for someone at a young age.

Obviously its up to the individual but I wouldnt recommend it. Your insurance will be expensive enough at 17-18 ish, you don't want to bump it up if you have to make a claim. Im 24, mine hasnt been remapped, had it just over six months and i still love it.

Well getting the chip also improves economy so its not all about performance, im young i know but i have been driving my mums clio for nearly a year now with no close scares or anything, loads of people tell me that im a great driver and i like to think i can handle myself on the road.

Im not stupid and know when its safe to dab the throttle for a bit of fun. I do appreciate you guys advice though and who knows the stock car might be just fine for me once i get it. I agree with what puntokris said about some people just being bad drivers and it doesnt matter what car you drive, my girlfriend is just plain scary and she drives a 1.0 107!

Well getting the chip also improves economy so its not all about performance, im young i know but i have been driving my mums clio for nearly a year now with no close scares or anything, loads of people tell me that im a great driver and i like to think i can handle myself on the road.

Im not stupid and know when its safe to dab the throttle for a bit of fun. I do appreciate you guys advice though and who knows the stock car might be just fine for me once i get it. I agree with what puntokris said about some people just being bad drivers and it doesnt matter what car you drive, my girlfriend is just plain scary and she drives a 1.0 107!

Most people don't have a remap done for improved economy, yes it's an added bonus but it's hardly counted as improved economy if your paying £350 for an extra 5mpg. Less than a years experience is hardly anything considering you, the fact that you have had no near misses is probably down to luck or lack of time on the road. Im not saying your a bad driver but even the best drivers have near misses with time,often caused by other bad drivers. I would give it six months before considering the re-map, don'tsuppose your letting the insurance know your new car could be 170bhp???(n)

Most people don't have a remap done for improved economy, yes it's an added bonus but it's hardly counted as improved economy if your paying £350 for an extra 5mpg. Less than a years experience is hardly anything considering you, the fact that you have had no near misses is probably down to luck or lack of time on the road. Im not saying your a bad driver but even the best drivers have near misses with time,often caused by other bad drivers. I would give it six months before considering the re-map, don'tsuppose your letting the insurance know your new car could be 170bhp???(n)

Thats it exactly. And it doesnt take much to get 'egged' on at that age. If anyone says that they have had a remap for the extra mpg than the power i don't believe them. It would take a while to save the £350 in fuel.

As for telling the insurance company i'd say an 18 year olds insurance price would double if remapped to those figures.

No one on here is saying your a bad driver, i'd say the same to any young lad wanting to do the same. Its like trying to run before you can walk.

Should i get mine done? :D

Nobody gets their car mapped for the better mpg. Gets done for performance and the mpg is a bonus. My remapped sporting is fast enough for the moment...

I don't drive like an idiot, neither do I not use the right pedal. the problem with young drivers is that they have no judgement. Don't know the road? Don't drive fast round it then. Bad weather conditions? slow down then.

Got all your mates in telling you to go faster? get some real respect and don't drive like a tit. I can count SEVEN friends who have all been killed in the past 5 years by driving like idiots. Thats SEVEN young lives ended.

Read the road and you can get the lead foot out of your system quite safely in the appropriate places at appropriate times.

I think I'm quite a good driver but I've been caught out a few times. Wrote my first car off when a nun did a U-turn across a dual carriageway infront of me. :rolleyes:

Just be careful out there with it. I'd personally suggest getting a older car for a few months - just means you have chance to learn the roads more and build up a big deposit for that GP (y)

And to be honest, the clio youve been driving, A 1.2 or 1.4? Its a big change going to a bigger engine with that power especially if you were to get it re-mapped. Im getting and orange M-jet on Tuesday 19th and where Ive test driven it, compared to the 1.2 at the moment, it is quick and will take a getting used to. Its a nice car, and you dont want to crash it : ( Not saying you will but you know where im coming from.

Im 18 so I know how you feel and want to put your foot down but when you see a little saxo or pug 106 next to you filled with chavs looking at you, You know you can beat them and have a much much MUCH Nicer car than them so no need to go fast. Makes the fel like a dick for 'bigging' it up in a ****ter! : P

Back