General Go on, upset me..................

Currently reading:
General Go on, upset me..................

Of course your going to lose big time if you buy a new car but thats the price of having it 'new'.
Buying a secondhand car though is a risk and no person can honestly say a car is 100% ok,no matter if hes a tech,engineer,ice cream man etc Some people think they maybe be wise to get a RAC inspection etc but I have seen some mega blunders by them aswell.

Its simple,new car = warranty

Secondhand = risk

You pay your money you takes your choice:devil:

If I could afford to buy new every 3 years I would,stuff the stress of MOT's/out of warranty etc got more stressful things in life to worry about!

Protect your no claims and write it off!!!

I got 3k for mine from directline which was a 02 1.2 active with no service history and it hadnt been looked after at all!!

As others have mentioned re the depreciation, i plan on holding onto my Stilo for at least another 4/5 years then probably upgrade to an Abarth if I can find a good one. Not too concerned about the value of my car, just something you have to accept!

Wise words (y)

If you look after your motor then it's still the same car you bought in the 1st place (I'd say mine is in better condition than when I bought it) and presumably you bought it to drive and not as an investment.

Without question, the most economic answer is to keep the car for as long as you can, whilst saving the money to buy a replacement. Then, when the time comes, use that money to get the best deal you possibly can. The longer you can put that time off then the better.

We're far better off with a Stilo than most cars as, being uncommon, they don't age very fast (aside from stupid UK number plate :mad:) (y)

I expect a car to depreciate, but the rate on the Stilo, or should I say all FIATs is atrocious, my car was £12600 list price, ok,I got a deal and paid £9995 for it, four years on and 32,000 miles later it's worth £1500 ???

Not even a Skoda or Seat loses value this quickly.

But you guys are right, the only thing to do, is run it into the ground, when it's dead, it's dead.

Try looking at other garages to see if you can get a better price for your Stilo.

When I traded my 52-plate 1.6 Dynamic in for a Nissan Primera, I managed to get £2,900 for it (it had 35k on the clock and had the parking sensors/alloys/rain sensors etc).

Nah, I'm going to keep it, why should someone benefit from my good upkeep of this car, it is mint inside and out, they can swivel.............

My Mrs company car is up for renewal in March, so there will be a new car on the drive soon, hopefuly a Bravo will be available.

If you intend to give it to your daughter in a few years time, best of luck with the insurance quote with all that gear on it. Sounds a beauty. Very much similar to the thoughts I have about doing to mine.

Slightly different story here in NZ where the Stilo fetches $16,000 (5714 pounds) to $20,000 (7142 pounds) at four years old. New price was $42,000 (15000 pounds). I think my Stilo lost $3000 (1071 pounds) over the last year. That's good - less tax for me to pay. :)

FIAT depreciation is a bit less than average for other brands over here, simply because of scarce availability (although, not many people know what they are). Something like your quintessential Subaru WRX has the worst depreciation, as there's an oversupply of them.

It's almost tempting to ship some of your 2000-pound specials over here, where I could get 5000 for them...

Conversely, I've sometimes wondered if I should ship some WRXs over there, but I guess someone is already importing them used from Japan (where ours come from).

Cheers,
-Alex

Remove all the add on and try again, dealer offer a lot less for modified car.

Not always true, I got £3900 for my old Stilo when I traded it in 6 months ago. Left all the mods on apart from the HID's (see sig), had no service history (lost book) and had done over 70k miles since we owned it from new in August '03. It all depends on the dealer and how much they apreciate modified cars.;)

I expect a car to depreciate, but the rate on the Stilo, or should I say all FIATs is atrocious, my car was £12600 list price, ok,I got a deal and paid £9995 for it, four years on and 32,000 miles later it's worth £1500 ???

Same as I pad for mine but I did more than double the mileage and got offered nearly 3 times more? Like I said in my post above, it's all dealer dependant.

Not even a Skoda or Seat loses value this quickly.

I traded my Stilo in for a SEAT and a couple of weeks ago I got offered more for the Leon than I had paid for it. SEAT (performance models) are beginning to hold their value better than VWs are at the moment.(y)

Well to add my tuppence worth to the conversation, we got £2,200 for our 1.6 Active 5dr (02 plate) with 30K on the clock when we chopped it in December. We weren't even buying a new car - we put it down against a W plate A4 TDI with 102K on the clock.

The dealer said that we may even have got nearer £3,000 for it if we had been buying a car with a bigger margin on it (he'd c0cked up the pricing on the Audi in our favour so didn't have much room to move on the trade in).

Well to add my tuppence worth to the conversation, we got £2,200 for our 1.6 Active 5dr (02 plate) with 30K on the clock when we chopped it in December. We weren't even buying a new car - we put it down against a W plate A4 TDI with 102K on the clock.

The dealer said that we may even have got nearer £3,000 for it if we had been buying a car with a bigger margin on it (he'd c0cked up the pricing on the Audi in our favour so didn't have much room to move on the trade in).

Trade in a 5 years old car with 30k to a 7 years old with 102k??? :confused: I guess ur 1.6 give u a lot of problem then.

Not always true, I got £3900 for my old Stilo when I traded it in 6 months ago. Left all the mods on apart from the HID's (see sig), had no service history (lost book) and had done over 70k miles since we owned it from new in August '03. It all depends on the dealer and how much they apreciate modified cars.;)

You might get even more if you take them off then sell them on ebay, TBH, any aftermarket add-on will not add any value to your car, for me, I will not buy a second hand car with any trace of modifications unless they are factory options, you do not know what else been done, was it done correctly and modified cars always given the impression it been drove hard, anyway, this is just my opinion, may be some dealers see it differently. :)

You might get even more if you take them off then sell them on ebay, TBH, any aftermarket add-on will not add any value to your car, for me, I will not buy a second hand car with any trace of modifications unless they are factory options, you do not know what else been done, was it done correctly and modified cars always given the impression it been drove hard, anyway, this is just my opinion, may be some dealers see it differently. :)

Car has long gone matey and it was a show car for the Powerflow exhausts department of District Garage Performance not far from me. It was well known round this neck of the woods for being spotless and well looked after. We had 2 files full of receipts and photos for all the work carried out. We even took pics when we changed tyres to show the care that was taken with the wheels.:cool: What makes you say that modified cars are driven hard? Yeah, I occasionally blew out the cobwebs on the Stilo but it was never abused, unlike my completely standard Astra GSI which was driven extremely hard from cold. Just because people modify cars, they shouldn't all be branded the same!:mad:

If you say mods don't add value, why did they give me £3900 for it? And they weren't the only garage (SEAT) to offer me that, local Toyota dealer offered similar money and Fiat offered even more!:rolleyes:

Trade in a 5 years old car with 30k to a 7 years old with 102k??? :confused: I guess ur 1.6 give u a lot of problem then.

Things were starting to go and it was out of warranty - the independent dealer we traded it to had it back 6 times in 3 months for various sensors and the coil pack (that was just the first 3 months of the 6 month warranty he gives!).

Fuel economy was a biggie too as it was the wifes car and only used round town where it used to do 20-22mpg which isn't great - the Audi on the other hand is turning in 40mpg round town and 58mpg on a run.

Ain't that what they all say !

I've known the guy we bought it from for about 8 years and basically we reserved it before he had even seen it properly - he had agreed a blind trade in from one of his regular cutomers and set the price based on what he was told. When the Audi came in he realised it was a 115bhp (i.e. the PD engine which Nige can tweak the balls off) rather than a 110bhp, and that it had 17" Audi rims with 40 section tyres, a Votex skirt and valance set from the VAG catalogue and a stainless exhaust.

Car has long gone matey and it was a show car for the Powerflow exhausts department of District Garage Performance not far from me. It was well known round this neck of the woods for being spotless and well looked after. We had 2 files full of receipts and photos for all the work carried out. We even took pics when we changed tyres to show the care that was taken with the wheels.:cool: What makes you say that modified cars are driven hard? Yeah, I occasionally blew out the cobwebs on the Stilo but it was never abused, unlike my completely standard Astra GSI which was driven extremely hard from cold. Just because people modify cars, they shouldn't all be branded the same!:mad:

If you say mods don't add value, why did they give me £3900 for it? And they weren't the only garage (SEAT) to offer me that, local Toyota dealer offered similar money and Fiat offered even more!:rolleyes:

The thing is there are alot of stereo-type out there (me including) a modified motor always given the image of driven hard and race on the street, if a dealer put an modified motor for sale, they already excluding part of their potential customers, which could mean it will take longer to shift, so offten they will offer less for modified car than a standard one.

Back