General glowplugs & poor smokey starting

Currently reading:
General glowplugs & poor smokey starting

graemet

My wife,s uly has began to resist starting giving out grey smoke. The battery is fine and I have been told to replace the glow plugs. Where are they and how do you change them. Is this a nightmare waiting to happen as I have been told. If any one can advise I would be grateful. Thanks Graemet

Hi,
I presume this is the 1.9TD, 1st Buy decent plugs, its a bitch of a job so you only want to do it once, I bought cheapies which lasted about 6 weeks and then BOSCH. Disconnect battery, The feed wire is held onto each plug with an 8mm nut, first remove this on each, then the plug itself is 12mm, you will need both a deep socket and a ring spanner with a good "throw". No's 1 and 2 are partly hidden by the injector pump, 3 and 4 by all the rest of the bits. I used a bit of stiff plastic pipe over the threaded end of the heater plug to guide them into Nos 3 &4. 1 and 2 can be put in reasonably easily. The hardest part was putting back the feed wire and 8mm nut, trial and error behind the pump.I think I used 8mm ring and 8mm 1/4 drive socket, 12mm ring and 3/8 deep socket, The plastic pipe was very useful in guiding in the plugs to 3 & 4. An extra joint between wrist and elbow would also be handy!!Have a cold beer waiting, you will need it. Best of luck, Tony :bang:

Check the usual suspects air filter too.
Also clean your Maf easy to get at on the 2.0jtd models not sure what you have.
And of course make sure your battery is in tip top shape esp this time of the year make sure you turn off all electrical equipment before your turn the engine off to give it a breather.

Pete

Thanks for the answers.

I had a go lost a spanner, lost one of the nuts then lost interest.
I gave in and did the overtime to pay the garage bill.

new here its making me feel slightly better been on here by it not just me would any one by another one i would gluton for punisment :eek:

Back