General Glass replacement

Currently reading:
General Glass replacement

Derbyfella

Established member
I accidentally won a car at copart! 😂

all the glass is smashed….
just wondering has anyone replaced - windscreens, and rear quarter glass? Can only really find one video of that on YouTube but it’s from a funny angle so not that clear
the boot has damage so I’ll probably replace that as the rear windscreen is broken too. I think someone was upset!
I know typecastboy has done door windows and baglady has done the panoramic….
any advice grateful,y received.
the replacement glass on eBay for the quarter panels all appears to have chrome strips…..as this is a Pop can they be removed etc etc etc

cheers!

Windscreen get a professional to replace, rear hatch replace the whole lid, doors not an issue, are the rear windows bonded? does it have a panoramic roof?-this could be your biggest issue?
It’s the rear quarter sim most bothered about. car hopefully arrives tomorrow but as per usual Copart making it considerably more difficult AND expensive than it needs to be.
how will I know if they were bonded?

It’s the rear quarter sim most bothered about. car hopefully arrives tomorrow but as per usual Copart making it considerably more difficult AND expensive than it needs to be.
how will I know if they were bonded?
From the video they ARE bonded-the rears, so you can save money if you remove the windscreen and rear window remains, not an easy job and don't scratch the paintwork under then bonding, the have a professional replace them, you "might" be able to source the rear windows, if so fully clean them up, then professional, they form part of the "car structure"

@typecastboy @Baglady1990 , have either of you changed the rear quarters or the rear or even front windscreen, baglady I know you did a glass roof! And tcb you definately changed drivers glass before, can you remember which series it was in?
my 500c has a mixture of c241 rear and c278 driver and passenger door windows, would anyone still reading mind having a look at your cars and seeing if they are the same?

From the video they ARE bonded-the rears, so you can save money if you remove the windscreen and rear window remains, not an easy job and don't scratch the paintwork under then bonding, the have a professional replace them, you "might" be able to source the rear windows, if so fully clean them up, then professional, they form part of the "car structure"
You are suppose cut them out and immediately fit the new

It bonds better to the fresh cut

I have remove windscreens and glass roofs and fitted them into a new shell. Remove is slightly different. You poke a hook through and pull some square cutting wire through attach two handles and you end up with something that resembles a cheese cutter.

@typecastboy @Baglady1990 , have either of you changed the rear quarters or the rear or even front windscreen, baglady I know you did a glass roof! And tcb you definately changed drivers glass before, can you remember which series it was in?
my 500c has a mixture of c241 rear and c278 driver and passenger door windows, would anyone still reading mind having a look at your cars and seeing if they are the same?
Yep, mine's the same.

I accidentally won a car at copart! 😂

all the glass is smashed….
just wondering has anyone replaced - windscreens, and rear quarter glass? Can only really find one video of that on YouTube but it’s from a funny angle so not that clear
the boot has damage so I’ll probably replace that as the rear windscreen is broken too. I think someone was upset!
I know typecastboy has done door windows and baglady has done the panoramic….
any advice grateful,y received.
the replacement glass on eBay for the quarter panels all appears to have chrome strips…..as this is a Pop can they be removed etc etc etc

cheers!
Check under the car likey to have damage from copart moving it with a forklift under the car

So Pilkington automotive state this on there website
“For any questions about automotive glass and product identification:

We are available for you
Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.”

guess what, they won’t answer the question as I don’t work in the trade.

Could anyone else please check the codes on the driver and passenger door glass and the rear quarters

FOr some reason ASM have a mixture of codes on their site and i want to match. It would have helped if pilkingto had been decent enough to provide an answer

This is my 2016, 500c Lounge (Left hand Drive)

500c windows.png

I think the C number refers to the tint/darkness. Rear windows are allowed a much darker tint than the fronts. (At least they do in the Netherlands)
Also wondering if the 3 door and convertible models have different rear windows?

Last edited:
Could anyone else please check the codes on the driver and passenger door glass and the rear quarters

FOr some reason ASM have a mixture of codes on their site and i want to match. It would have helped if pilkingto had been decent enough to provide an answer
And mine is identical to the above except for the very last number;
Front ' 2...... '
Rear ' .2 '

2013 500C RHD

I believe from the research I’ve done the number with the dots is the year of manufacturing….which has somewhat surprised me because some newer cars have windows with years substantially older than the car on the other hand why wouldn’t you use glass thats been produced for a specific shape. The dots relate to the month

i also think the c is the tint code…. Interestingly ASM have front windows that are both c241 and c728

ours is a 12 plate 500c and the windows match the above codes. The newer car though is not a c, so need to confirm,some of those codes…. I’m just wondering if a lounge, whether they have a different shade of glass because of the glass roof.

Re C241
that is also the number on the Windscreen of the newer car ive got, can’t check the 500c as it’s out at the moment.

Back