20160312_143646.jpg

Panda (Classic) Giuseppe the '88 Italian Thoroughbred Sisley

Introduction

We all know how hard it is at present to find a decent second hand 4x4 in this country, spending 3-4k will get you a clean looking one but it cannot guarantee that it hasn't been filled up with every kind of repair material going.
Knowing this it was hard to decide on what to do when Hadrian was finally condemned earlier this year - should I start saving for a guaranteed solid mk2 in this country, was it worth just forgetting the early models and look at going for a cheaper mk3, or should I think about widening the search over seas? It was obvious that it was not an option to forget getting another one!
After a lot of thought and discussion with friends, family and other forum members it was time to start looking.

The search began way out east: Japan.
A couple of friends of mine over in Newcastle have imported several cars from here, and after a little research it was found that Panda 4x4s quite regularly come up through the auctions that they use on the SmileJV network. After a couple of weeks an average sale price became apparent of between £200 and £600, but also on top of that the shipping costs and associated payments totalled around £3k to get to the point of collecting the car from the docks. It turned out to be quite costly to get a proper inspection done on the car before the bidding even started and given that the majority of Pandas that are available in Japan are left hand drive anyway it seemed like a better plan to start looking a bit more locally.

The search then carried on into Europe.
With a lot of help and advice from our Forum friends David aquamarine and Andy andyholli it seemed more practical to go down the lines of looking for one from the warmer regions of our European countries. With the possibility of help from members of our newly linked Italian Panda 4x4 Club the search widened to the southern regions of Italy, in order to find a sun-baked rot-free fully inspected by a trustworthy eye example which we could collect and drive/trailer back.

The ball had begun to roll, but then one evening not so long ago I was tagged on facebook by a friend in these photos...

FB_IMG_1462130779200.jpg

FB_IMG_1462130790809.jpg

FB_IMG_1462130747890.jpg

I began to enquire as it first seemed that these were a couple of off-the-radar cars.

Located down in Somerset these were two of eight Pandas that had been imported from Italy a couple of years previous by a company who were looking to make a bit of money on resale. Talking to Gavin Palio we found out that the owner had originally contacted him a while again since looking for help getting rid of them. Finding out that it was a fairly large company that were selling them was good in my eyes, because the prospects of communication was likely to be more positive, as I couldn't exactly just nip down and have a look! Thankfully Gav sorted a viewing out through one of his contacts who lived close by. Naturally I was interested in the Green 4x4; roofrack, lifted suspension and generally rough looking - ideal for me. The viewing took place, photos were taken and passed on and it became clear that the green one was out of the picture - rot had set in.
It was fantastic of Gav to help out, but I had messed up because I had told his contact to concentrate efforts on the green one and forget the other one - mainly because it had twin sunnies. Talking to Freddy panda1408 it was clear that I should forget the sunroof issue and strongly consider the Burgundy Sisley. Thankfully our Forum friend Si pandamonius_maximus had previously offered to help me out with a viewing so this time he went down to have a look around. The news came back; the news was good.

So one weekend two months ago Freddy and I set off southbound with the Landy and trailer to gain us a Panda, all being well ofcourse.
The day was sunny, the drive was long, but before long my new car was hitched up and on it's way back up North!

20160312_143646.jpg

Ofcourse we had to have a break on the way back and we'd kindly been invited for a late lunch at Si's pad. An excellent burger cooked on the Panda-Q 666 and a look at his cars later; we were back on the road.
The hour was late on our arrival back at Freddy's workshop, we barely had time to unhitch and ditch before I had to carry on my journey to the homelands...

20160312_183334.jpg

And that's where the first chapter ends! The car will stay at Freddy's to be professionally undersealed and cavity waxed before the build from the ashes of Hadrian begins.

So with some excellent pictures from Freddy and without further ado; this is my new Italian Thoroughbred Sisley!

IMG_20160430_152940165.jpg

IMG_20160430_153000373.jpg

IMG_20160430_152909588.jpg

IMG_20160430_153028656.jpg

IMG_20160430_153127750.jpg

IMG_20160430_153150970.jpg

Named "Giuseppe" after the previous owner on the logbook, this car has come all the way from the province of Roma - and is solid as a rock...

IMG_20160430_153336657_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160430_151054062.jpg

IMG_20160430_151037770_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160430_150821422.jpg

IMG_20160430_150422005.jpg

IMG_20160430_150323462.jpg

...apart from this bit...

IMG_20160429_164442524.jpg

...and there might be an issue with the fuel tank...

IMG_20160429_164508849.jpg

...and also the prop shaft may require changing...

IMG_20160429_164454608.jpg

But apart from those small, little, minor, tiny problems - all in comparison with the work that Hadrian would have required - I am very pleased indeed.
Freddy and I rolled around in the dirt checking everything before handing over the cash initially, but he and I were pleasantly surprised to find just how good it really is considering the cost of the car!

So chapter two's beginning is now imminent. The car's running like a bag of spanners at present, suspected carb rebuild required (wahey) and a bloody good service should sort this out. Welding before the great underseal and cavity wax and then I will be heading down for a weekend of parts-transferring and UK road legal-making.

Chapter three will then consist of the paperwork. I have all of the forms required and the car has been properly NOVA'd on arrival in the UK. I will probably publish the work required in this thread for future reference of other members.

So for now all that's left is to say a massive thankyou again to all that have helped and continue to help me get back on the trails - David, Andy, Gav, Si and Freddy your are legends :)

The story will continue...

IMG_20160429_164346019.jpg
Excellent post - great first chapter of an (I hope) really long book of adventures. I look forward to meeting Giuseppe in the metal.

Serious question - how much modification are you planning, when it looks to be such a straight standard car..? - If he were mine I'd be tempted to do the minimum..

(Turbo.. 3" lift, space-frame, etc.)

Excellent post - great first chapter of an (I hope) really long book of adventures. I look forward to meeting Giuseppe in the metal.

Serious question - how much modification are you planning, when it looks to be such a straight standard car..? - If he were mine I'd be tempted to do the minimum..

(Turbo.. 3" lift, space-frame, etc.)

Well it's obviously wrong-side-drive and there was talk of an attempt to rectify that, but as you've said it's a clean car so I'll just get on with how it is for now.

Generally fitting the suspension kit, armouring etc. from Hadrian. No bull bars or roof rack for the moment - I've been formulating some plans for the near future though.

I've read it again now - fuel tank looks mint - ish, shout if you need help with that, and could explain some of the rough running if rust flakes have entered the fuel supply system.
Prop shaft looks twisted which is excellent too. - Surprising how thin the walls are. If you need a donor shaft then also, shout.

Great post Andy!!!
Looking forward to see it under UK plate... ( i.e. E144 GIU).
Regards the modifications - the only body mod would be opening the holes for track rod end to go further down, but that can be overcome by getting the track rod arm mounting plate on the shock tube rewelded ( TIG) to higher location ( shock drain and re-charge might be required).

Last edited:
Well it's obviously wrong-side-drive

- I've been formulating some plans for the near future though.

I don't see it like that - "correct hand drive" as originally engineered for the largest market - see brake servo location/activation and radio controls as examples. Only issues in UK are tolls or carpark entry machines but Pandas are narrow enough to make a lunge across the passenger seat rather than a walk of shame around the outside, possible.
'Plans' sounds good...(y)

rather than a walk of shame around the outside

Ah this is a form of shame walking that I am not used to, but may have to indulge upon - otherwise it's basically the opposite to what we did in Italy, us individuals with no wingman anyway.

What I really should have said is that it's staying that way to make it easier for me on the many more European trips that we are going on in the future ;)

Excellent introduction to Giuseppe Andy, I'm glad we have a name now! I've enjoyed being part of the story so far and am looking forward to continuing it, turning what is a very solid car in something fully sorted ready to do whatever is asked of it.

The propshaft is an odd one, it looks to have been rubbing on something, thinning the metal and then twisting under power, there is also a huge amount of run out which I'm sure would make it interesting at road speeds!

Fuel tank is annoying if anything else, all seemed well until I got a whiff of petrol whilst looking round underneath, a light poke of a small blister resulted in the pictured hole and a mad rush to collect the fuel that was now pouring out, fortunately the fuel that was saved is clean with no contamination, so I think the running issues are just from old age more than anything else.

Thanks for the parts offers guys, I think the bits off Hadrian will be fine for now but I will keep you posted :)

So the walk of shame, does it still class if you remember BEFORE you open the door and get in the car? I'm just thinking I may be able to get away with it if I keep my wits about me...

So the walk of shame, does it still class if you remember BEFORE you open the door and get in the car? I'm just thinking I may be able to get away with it if I keep my wits about me...

- The shame is all yours so whatever you can get away with, without you noticing.
My own rule is - if you realise your mistake somewhere near the bonnet, make a quick examination of a headlamp or imaginary dirt spec and then swerve in the right direction, then that's okay. But if you need to turn and retrace any steps then that's a fail.

My prediction is - you will do this at some point.:mad:

My own rule is - if you realise your mistake somewhere near the bonnet, make a quick examination of a headlamp or imaginary dirt spec and then swerve in the right direction,

I've done that few time with my father car - all sorts of variations including showing my ass fully in to passenger seat trying to keep the face by browsing trough the gloveboxas an idiot. Even me and Ula together done it, we've relaised 'the mistake' holding the outer handles, and doing swap round back of the car. Always lots and lots of laugh.

Nice write-up :D I'm annoyed didn't spot that sill rust though...was it covered up in naughty filler or was I just being unobservant! :eek:

scary rust on the fuel tank as well! must have got a ding there or something.

Prop shaft is so weird though! Maybe that's what happens if you engage 4 wheel drive at motorway speeds? Or just an unlucky loading scenario...

Anyway, looks like some good progress on the transition :D Good luck to you both with all the work! :slayer:

- The shame is all yours so whatever you can get away with, without you noticing.
My own rule is - if you realise your mistake somewhere near the bonnet, make a quick examination of a headlamp or imaginary dirt spec and then swerve in the right direction, then that's okay. But if you need to turn and retrace any steps then that's a fail.

My prediction is - you will do this at some point.:mad:

Definitely. Do you get points back though for every passenger who goes to get in to the driver's side? Perhaps extra if they don't realise until after they are in??

A fantastic couple of days working on the car and things are moving fast.

Freddy's done an A1 job on the welding, cavity waxing and undersealing during the week which has allowed us to start the rebuild.

Giuseppe has now been converted to UK spec with the correct front and rear lights, plus speedo. The suspension kit is all in place with new leaf spring bushes, dirt guards on the front shocks and gaiters on the drive shafts. Hadrian's exhaust has been fitted with the back box from our Italy trip, the one originally on the car was a 4x2 exhaust we think - it didn't line up correctly. The engine has had a good service with new belt as well, it's still not running correctly though so investigation into this will continue.
Judging by the various new parts on the vehicle it looks like the car has been looked after by the previous owner, but as Freddy has pointed out there is some damaged to the body underneath so it will have done some off road driving before.

There are a few bits left to do, including the prop shaft which needs the front section replacing before balancing up, and the fuel tank which needs the hole welding up. A couple more weeks and he'll be ready for an MOT.

A massive thanks to Freddy panda1408 for the continued hard work and a huge thanks to David aquamarine for coming over to lend a hand yesterday as well - plenty of fun and banter was had!

Attachments

• 1463902325115.jpg
    1463902325115.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1463902340668.jpg
    1463902340668.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 1463902358893.jpg
    1463902358893.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 1463902379356.jpg
    1463902379356.jpg