500 Getting my new 500

Currently reading:
500 Getting my new 500

Kashan

Good day I am new to the forum but not new to fiats :) I owned my first Fiat in 2006 ( a blue Panda 4x4 trekking) then traded that in for a hip hop black Fiat Punto Emotion in 2011. My husband is keeping the Punto and I am about to get a car I have wished for since I saw it online in 2007, a Fiat 500.

Now I live in Johannesburg South Africa where choices are a bit more limited so I was wondering what you guys think of the following 500:
1.2 lounge
Funk white ext.
Italian flag stripe over hood, roof and boot.
Interior checkered fabric seats with black steering and gear shift.
Fixed glass roof (paying cash so don't want to pay extra for opening sunroof option)

You guys think that's a good choice as I went for that over the Pasodoble red, cappuccino cream, bossa nova white, epic blue and chill out purple. I am concerned about resale. I have really good relationship with dealer so he gave me the funk white paint free by the way.

Hi,

Sounds nice. It's not the spec I would go for (I prefer the Sport/Street versions if they are available), but I strongly suspect I am in the minority. That kind of spec seems to be popular and sell well over here, and is perhaps quite in keeping with the car's retro style.

I love the 1.2 engine too. It's very characterful.

Enjoy it! I am sure you will.

I seem to recall some adverse comments re checkered pattern seats on here, but typically can't recall what they were. Hopefully someone will come to my rescue here!

Over in the UK, we are only allowed to pay £1000 in cash towards a car. Are you allowed to pay in full in SA?

Hope you have a big wheelbarrow to carry all those Rand into the dealers!

Money laundering, Chas. Pita.

Unless I was misinformed, that was as much cash as I was allowed to use.

I wonder is it another case of the vast majority of innocent peeps having to suffer, while the intended target (drug dealers, crims etc) seem not to be bothered?

Money laundering, Chas. Pita.

Unless I was misinformed, that was as much cash as I was allowed to use.

I wonder is it another case of the vast majority of innocent peeps having to suffer, while the intended target (drug dealers, crims etc) seem not to be bothered?

Be interesting to find the definitive answer. 5 yrs ago I purchased a new Audi TT and paid the £18k balance by debit card. £10K a day allowable by bank without notice. So all I had to do was set it up with bank prior to and had a 30 min window to do the transaction (security parameters were set up ahead of the transaction).

To my mind transferring cash from your account via debit card is instant and is just like a hard cash withdrawal (albeit most banks will only let you take £300 per day from a cashpoint) so the money laundering aspect should still come in to play?

Any 'Merchant Bankers' out there who can answer? OOPPSS sorry to be using Cockney Rhyming Slang!!!:devil:

Haha, a dealer will take your money for a car, don't worry. You just have to consider how you are paying.

By doing a money transfer is the best as there is a full traceable record. By a card payment is fine as again there is a full traceable record. Even by credit card is fine however don't be surprised if the dealer charges a % to cover extra costs for the credit card payment. Also ensure you have advised the bank so that they don't decline the payment even if there is enough money to cover it. They are just protecting you so a quick phone call covers it.

Finally cash. It's law that dealerships can't take more than (I think) £5-6k in one hit. As above its money laundering rules. Cars are quick and easy ways for turning dirty drugs money into clean money. Nothing stopping you paying 5k then going in a few days later and paying another 5k then the balance on collection type thing. The other reason a dealership may not want to take such a high amount in any one go is Thierry insurance may not cover it. What with other cash on premises it doesn't take much for them to exceed insurance limits.

And some people's expression of paying cash isn't always the picture of someone walking in with a carrier bag full of cash anyhow. I once had a guy in with a shoes box stuffed with £50's.
Hope this helps

The OP never had any concern about paying :) When they say they're paying cash, theyay just be paying by debit card as opposed taking out a loan.

With internet banking transferring money from bank to bank can be instant especially if the bank is the same. You can do it at the dealers and tell him to check his bank account like 5 minutes later = ) In Greece when I bought the car cash i transferred the account to Fiat's Bank Account in Greece with reference number and called the dealer the next day to confirm he recieved the money.

Be interesting to find the definitive answer. 5 yrs ago I purchased a new Audi TT and paid the £18k balance by debit card. £10K a day allowable by bank without notice. So all I had to do was set it up with bank prior to and had a 30 min window to do the transaction (security parameters were set up ahead of the transaction).

To my mind transferring cash from your account via debit card is instant and is just like a hard cash withdrawal (albeit most banks will only let you take £300 per day from a cashpoint) so the money laundering aspect should still come in to play?

Any 'Merchant Bankers' out there who can answer? OOPPSS sorry to be using Cockney Rhyming Slang!!!:devil:

I have paid over £60,000 on my debit card the merchant had to call and all I had to do was answer some security questions, very easy.

I did try the same a few years ago but for £30,000 and it was a nightmare as I did not have the passwords and security answers, i ended up having to go to the bank and getting a bankers draft.

Wanted to thank you for your explanation, Hobo, but the thank button wasn't available.

Could who-ever has it please return it.............

Back