Technical GENERIC WARNING SYSTEM FAULT LIGHT and Start Stop Unaviable

Currently reading:
Technical GENERIC WARNING SYSTEM FAULT LIGHT and Start Stop Unaviable

SeMaKKa

Hello, I have a problem with Start Stop feature when I use it one time, second time not working, and on board appear “Start stop Unaviable” if I turn off and start again the Start Stop is working again but just for one time!
Second problem is GENERIC WARNING SYSTEM FAULT LIGHT (amber triangle with a exclamation mark in midle) I noticed this fault appear when I keep driving for 10 miles on motorway after using one time Start Stop.
I hope if someone can confirm the fault appear because of Start Stop Unaviable. And how I can fix the Start Stop to be can used more times then one! Thank you!
Battery: bosch s3 007 12v 70ah 640A
Fiat Punto 2012 GBT
77 HP
1.4 Petrol

Last edited:
Hello, I have a problem with Start Stop feature when I use it one time, second time not working, and on board appear “Start stop Unaviable” if I turn off and start again the car is working again but just for one time!
Second problem is GENERIC WARNING SYSTEM FAULT LIGHT (amber triangle with a exclamation mark in midle) I noticed this fault appear when I keep driving for 10 miles on motorway after using one time Start Stop.
I hope if someone can confirm the fault appear because of Start Stop Unaviable. And how I can fix the Start Stop to be can used more times then one! Thank you!
How old is your car?
How old is your battery?

How old is your car?
How old is your battery?
Is from 2012, I don’t know the battery how old it is, I just bought the car! Look a bit old! I will go to check if I can and come with an update!

Is from 2012, I don’t know the battery how old it is, I just bought the car! Look a bit old! I will go to check if I can and come with an update!
Well there is the answer in your first post
That battery is NOT SUITABLE for stop start cars.

If you bought from a dealer take it back and demand they fit a new stop start battery as the one you have is not fit for purpose. Take photos of battery in car first.

Well there is the answer in your first post
That battery is NOT SUITABLE for stop start cars.

If you bought from a dealer take it back and demand they fit a new stop start battery as the one you have is not fit for purpose. Take photos of battery in car first.
Ok

Attachments

• 71E2364A-CBC8-42C3-9F39-3B79396AEAB6.jpeg
    71E2364A-CBC8-42C3-9F39-3B79396AEAB6.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
I meant take photo so you have proof that dealer has sold you a car with a battery that is not suitable for the car.

But I guess you nearly have that , you may need a pic of the battery in the car showing the number plate too.

Yes..

Poor battery performance is the key to both issues..

Stop start batteries are more expensive

Look on Eurocarparts website for your punto ;) compare to 2007 same engine grande punto.. no stop.start

Then get back to us for where to go from here :)

Charlie

2012 punto..07 grande

I had the same issue that when i bought mine it came with a standard battery not a start stop. However sometimes it would work to the point it doesn't now aha. However if the car stalls by depressing the clutch it starts up again. Even when it did work it wasn't the greatest though so I've just switched it off.

Yes..

Poor battery performance is the key to both issues..

Stop start batteries are more expensive

Look on Eurocarparts website for your punto ;) compare to 2007 same engine grande punto.. no stop.start

Then get back to us for where to go from here :)

Charlie

2012 punto..07 grande
This battery: Varta D52 Silver Dynamic AGM Car Battery: Type 027
Is good for me?
I need to choose from AGM or EFB

Last edited:
According to ECP

My 2012 wants a Varta Blue 2 :£133

NOT STOP.START TYPE..!!

This seems expensive.. despite its 4 year warranty :(

I will make some comparisons.. I seem to recall @£80

Tayna gave a list of :

Exide basic AGM £95 3 year..

LOTS of Exide Bosch Varta for £125

But a Yuasa for @£92 :) Ybx 7096 4year guarantee Stop.Start battery

Traditionally batteries are cheap in june ..july

As the demand of winter failures has passed

Unfortunately.. lack of use due to covid will have made batteries back in demand.. :eek:

Your choice on battery.. for a new purchase vehicle. I would go for the Cheaper AGM's..but with the 4 year warranty :)

Didge3 might know..

Carpart4less have the Varta Blue for my 2012 @£89.. still not stop.start :(

Will have to check the spec. Of it

My original FIAT battery is now 8 years old...

Stop.start doesnt function.. but restarts fine with no errors..or warnings :)

Last edited:
This battery: Varta D52 Silver Dynamic AGM Car Battery: Type 027
Is good for me?
I need to choose from AGM or EFB

According to ECP
Didge3 might know..

Carpart4less have the Varta Blue for my 2012 @£89.. still not stop.start :(

Will have to check the spec. Of it

My original FIAT battery is now 8 years old...

Stop.start doesnt function.. but restarts fine with no errors..or warnings :)

Yes an 027 is correct. The yellow triangle coincides with the start/stop error so don't worry about it.
You could either get an EFB battery which will be cheaper than AGM but won't have as high a tolerance for start/stop, I'd expect to pay around £70-£80 for EFB and £100-115 for AGM so its entirely up to you which type you go for, both will work with stop/start but you should get more stop/starts per charge from an AGM.

Thank you everyone for your time! Have a good day!
I will go for Varta D52 Silver Dynamic AGM Car Battery: Type 027

We have a 2013 Punto Sporting Multiair 105, same issue. General fault light with Stop Start warning has been progressively more frequent for 18 months or more. Decided was probably ageing battery (it's the original - so 7 years old now) got new Exide EL600 EFB from Tayna (£92) last week. Fitted it but fault light still on. Saw on these forums some issues with brake light switch that can affect the S/S system - must need a stop signal from somewhere to satisfy the software. Checked the brake lights & they were only working intermittently. Got new brake light switch (it's a standard generic switch - £9.96 GSF weekend special offer). Less than 10 minutes to locate & fit. Problem solved:):) HTH someone.

Hi, and thanks for your input :)

Always a tough call with a newly purchased older car..

Ive not had issues with the switch myself.. but its certainly one of the regular issues nowadays :eek:

Seems to flag Abs..esr mainly though.. as obviously they use brake pedal inputs

Bit weird directly effecting the Stop:Start

But great information for the future :)
Cheers

How do you find your 105?

Charlie

Last edited:
Been good generally, we've had it since 'new' (pre-reg demonstrator - 4k miles in 2013). Wifes car really, still only done 21k miles after 7 years! Replaced the cambelt last year, LED rear light failed first MOT due to condensation - corrosion on PCB - light output reduced - replaced under warranty. Strut tops got very twangy last year so replaced them, but they're starting to grumble a bit already, poor design I think.

She had a MkIIb from 2003-2013 (son has it now) so we've had two Punto's in 17 years! They're more robust than most people perceive, you just have to look after the maintenance properly. The old 1.2 MkIIb was a real town car, made for zipping about in. The 2013 Multiair's lugging more weight but the 6 speed means it's better on longer runs. Fuel consumption's not brilliant short trips but have had near 50mpg on long runs driving very light footed.

Last edited:
Back