Styling gearstick knob

Currently reading:
Styling gearstick knob

i want to change my gearstick knob to something that looks better than the tacky standard one. prob i have is finding one that fits well. tryed an aftermarket one that is supposed to be universal for reverse uplifters but it didnt fit right, kept wobbling and showed some of the spring above the uplifter. anyone know of a decent (but reasonably priced) knob that fits as well as the standard? links would be appreciated.

i want to change my gearstick knob to something that looks better than the tacky standard one. prob i have is finding one that fits well. tryed an aftermarket one that is supposed to be universal for reverse uplifters but it didnt fit right, kept wobbling and showed some of the spring above the uplifter. anyone know of a decent (but reasonably priced) knob that fits as well as the standard? links would be appreciated.

i want to do the same pal, ive been look at other puntos that have aftermarket gear knobs on and the only 1s i seen that fit well are the MOMO knobs but there right high prices (n) also if u do look at the MOMO knob be careful cos a lot of them dnt fit the lift revesre :mad:

iirc someone on here removed the lift up reverse mechanism,this allowed them to fit any gear knob.maybe you could try this?i dont know how its done but im sure someone did it

all you do is remove the knob and pull the spring out lol reverse lift removed...also remove the collar as it isnt needed anymore then lol

i seen people cut there gear stick with a hack saw to make it short shift then add a tightening gear knob to the stick lol

I replaced mine with a leather momo knob. Cost me €45 from a closeout sale at a motor factor, but they are about €60 normally.
I also tried removing the collar and the spring and using a normal knob. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it becomes no different to driving another car. You need to be aware about 5th gear in the beginning, but becomes second nature after a while. My brother (who had never driven my car) had absolutely no problems driving mine first time he got in.
In the end, I put back the collar and spring when I found the Momo knob.

a real pub pool 8 ball would look mint, but would be too big, ud need a smaller 8 ball from a childs table..
then ud have to realise how cold it would get in this weather, wouldnt fancy changing gear with a freezing cold 8 ball, at least the original plastic retains some heat...
It's not actually too big and when cold I put my sleeve halfway up my palm to change gear. Never as cold as I expected though. The steering wheel is always colder. I usually drive with gloves on anyway

Attachments

• DSCN2056.JPG
    DSCN2056.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
I replaced mine with a leather momo knob. Cost me €45 from a closeout sale at a motor factor, but they are about €60 normally.
I also tried removing the collar and the spring and using a normal knob. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it becomes no different to driving another car. You need to be aware about 5th gear in the beginning, but becomes second nature after a while. My brother (who had never driven my car) had absolutely no problems driving mine first time he got in.
In the end, I put back the collar and spring when I found the Momo knob.
what do u need to be aware of in 5th gear? how does removing the spring and collar affect it?

The spring and collar stop you going into reverse when changing from 4th to 5th. removing the collar means you can over-shoot 5th and go towards reverse. obviously it wont engage but your reverse light comes on =P

Jacko taught me that :p Someone up your ass on the M-way then clutch in, gearstick across, lift and across that tiny bit more. A reverse light at 70+ mph is enough to sh*t anyone up.
Even if it does make them think your crazy :devil:

Jacko taught me that :p Someone up your ass on the M-way then clutch in, gearstick across, lift and across that tiny bit more. A reverse light at 70+ mph is enough to sh*t anyone up.
Even if it does make them think your crazy :devil:
wouldnt that damage the gearbox? again, i may sound dumb for asking. lol
edit, nevermind, just read it wont engage. lol

Last edited:
i may sound dumb for saying this, but how would u overshoot? reverse sits down and right, not up and right where 5th is? id say there would be more chance hitting reverse whilst attempting 4th?

when going from 4th to 5th you go up and right. over shooting means you go too far to the right. it doesnt mean engauging the other gear. it can happen going from 2nd to 3rd, by going to 5th instead.

by overshooting 5th you will just go to the furthest point the gear stick can go right.

becuase the collar needs to be lifted to move the stick that extra bit right, once removed nothing stops the stick going right.

Edit. On a MK2b the reverse sits far right and backwards. not sure on other fiats

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back