General gearstick frozen stuck!

Currently reading:
General gearstick frozen stuck!

snapped one of my cables last night :( waited a good 20 minutes for it to release and had nothing, gave it the slightest of pushes and it went. so now its all limp in the left and right movements but i can still get 3rd and 4th. so I nursed her home last night. anybody know which one of the cables it is out of the two? and on the hugeee off chance does anybody know the availability of a new cable? 1.9 Mjet 56 plate.

Hello mate....mine has the same problem in the cold temperatures...can only select 3rd and 4th.... bit of advice and reassurance tho...the problem isnt the gearbox!!. the problem is actually under the bonnet...on top of the gearbox is the selector which moves up and down and turns left/right on a small shaft (looks a bit like a small boomerang.lol) You will find in cold weather that the coolant pipes which run above the selector drip moisture down onto it and freezes!!!!!! this is the reason you can only get 3rd and 4th!!... as to engage these gears the selector only has to twist left or right in the middle (neutral position) of the selector, also neutral on gearstick.
To get reverse,1st 2nd, 5th 6th the selector has to move up and down on the shaft, but cant due to the frozen ice on the shaft!!!.
Either get the kettle and pour a little warm water onto the selector to get rid of the ice...or make a little cover to go below the coolant pipes to keep that dripping moisture away from the gear selector, also put some grease on the shaft.

Hope this helps people in the ****ty bad weather, bloody -10
icon6.gif

icon7.gif

Still Haven't fixed mine...Does anybody know which part it is for the side to side movement? I have two part numbers, just cant be bothered to take it apart then wait for the part lol.

Any details on where you put the silicone grease and where you could get it? my mjet is doing the same:confused:

I think it was just co-incidence that it stopped because i just sprayed down the side of the ball joint at the bottom of the gearstick... I think gbircumshaw has a better idea :) do you have a picture of where this is?? i might try and knock something up in work

This happened on mine during the colder spells.
Spraying silicon grease does nothing and wd40 will do more harm than good. Its the gear cables that are the problem. Moisture has gotten into the cables and will probably be noticably there for the for rest of the winter. Only way to stop it is to get your gear cables changed, I got it it done under warranty. Once it's done you can then spray it with silicone and make sure the seal around the engine bay under the wiper blades is on properly.

Hope this is some help to anyone

Back