Technical Gears not engaging when vehicle warmed up

Currently reading:
Technical Gears not engaging when vehicle warmed up

BessyGrandma

Well strange one. After driving our 1.9td campervan for approximately ten miles we were unable to change gear. Finally got 3rd and limped home. Few days later started it up to turn motor over and found I had all gears and could move. Have changed gear oil and nothing sinister. A suggestion has been to fit new gearbox mounts which we will do. Wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they resolved it. It has had reconditioned gearbox and new clutch fitted this year. Thanks for any help.

Is this not the same basic problem as posted in the thread1.9 td gearbox initiated in December, and to which the OP failed to post any resolution?

Yes it is! Sorry I couldn’t work out how to get back to the post to continue so started this new thread. We were very relieved to find it isn’t the gearbox a we thought but it has given us a new problem! Would be grateful for any ideas

Hi, this could be a clutch issue, if it's not fully disengaging it will be very difficult to select gears. To test, when the problem occurs and you cannot select a gear, turn off the engine and try selecting gears with the engine not running. If the gears can now be selected this suggests the problem is a dragging clutch or other clutch related issue. I would then go back to whoever replaced your clutch and ask them to resolve. I don't know if this is a cable or hydraulic clutch but if cable it may just need adjusting.

Hi, this could be a clutch issue, if it's not fully disengaging it will be very difficult to select gears. To test, when the problem occurs and you cannot select a gear, turn off the engine and try selecting gears with the engine not running. If the gears can now be selected this suggests the problem is a dragging clutch or other clutch related issue. I would then go back to whoever replaced your clutch and ask them to resolve. I don't know if this is a cable or hydraulic clutch but if cable it may just need adjusting.

The vehicle has been described in an earlier thread, which is linked to in post #2 above, as a 1998 Ducato, hence x230 model with cable operated clutch.

Thanks for responding. The bit that is puzzling is why it would occur after travelling for approximately ten miles. Then after standing for a week or so it all works fine again I.e. when everything is cold.

Hi,
You really should take it back to garage that fitted the gearbox , tell them everything .
The clutch cable ,it's adjustment , cable attachment points and clutch pedal are all likely causes. By all means mention that to garage .
Any ideas regarding cold/ warm performance can only be guesses from a distance.
Go back to the garage that fitted the gearbox.
Please let us know how you get on.
Best wishes
Jack

Hi,
You really should take it back to garage that fitted the gearbox , tell them everything .
The clutch cable ,it's adjustment , cable attachment points and clutch pedal are all likely causes. By all means mention that to garage .
Any ideas regarding cold/ warm performance can only be guesses from a distance.
Go back to the garage that fitted the gearbox.
Please let us know how you get on.
Best wishes
Jack
Thanks. It was all delayed by Christmas holidays and now we are iced in - again! But are on the case now. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi. I repaired a transit van with this exact problem, after a bit of head scratching I finally figured it out.
It had a recent new clutch fitted but the clutch cable had been run incorrectly and was too close to the exhaust pipe, when the engine got hot the cable seized with the heat, re-routed the cable and all was well again.
Hope this is your problem and a nice easy fix.
Just remembered that the cable looked OK until the clutch was depressed it then caused it to move against the exhaust pipe.

Last edited:
Hi. I repaired a transit van with this exact problem, after a bit of head scratching I finally figured it out.
It had a recent new clutch fitted but the clutch cable had been run incorrectly and was too close to the exhaust pipe, when the engine got hot the cable seized with the heat, re-routed the cable and all was well again.
Hope this is your problem and a nice easy fix.
Just remembered that the cable looked OK until the clutch was depressed it then caused it to move against the exhaust pipe.
That looks interesting! Did the clutch pedal still move as normal? Thanks.

Back