Technical Gearknob

Currently reading:
Technical Gearknob

Werner

How can I remove my standard gearknob from a Fiat punto Mk1 (97 model)?
I have tried unscrewing it but it doesnt seem to budge. Do I just have to twist it harder, or is there some release mechanism or how does it come of?
Thanks for any help
:)

Werner said:
How can I remove my standard gearknob from a Fiat punto Mk1 (97 model)?
I have tried unscrewing it but it doesnt seem to budge. Do I just have to twist it harder, or is there some release mechanism or how does it come of?
Thanks for any help
:)
Hack it off.

Just had to put one on to my son's punto as it fell off in his hand while driving!!!!

Needed to use a rubber mallet to bang the new one into place.

There's no screw thread - just a lot of vertical ridges.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the help. My new gearknob should arrive tomorrow so will try to yank the old one off.
Why does the bloody fiat people have to make it hard for us? Cant they just make screw on ones?
Aah well.
Wish me luck.
(y)

To fit a new nob the old one will have to sawn of with a hacksaw. The gear stick should really be hacksawed down about 2" also, past these vertical ridges. Otherwise the new gear knob will not like to stay in place as it should. Ensure the gear knob you buy has a plastic insert to slide over the stick to ensure no play between the two. Otherwise it will not last long before it works its way loose (If it does not you would have to improvise) This will provide a good tight fit and no movement. Tighten the grub screws not too tight but tight enough. I just bought a new one from the bay for £6...I am really pleased with it. It was just what I wanted. The best type of knob to buy is a round top type, as it provides the most contact with the hand in any range of motion.

Yeah the one im waiting for I also got of e-bay. Very nice one. So the only way to fit a new one is to hack it of? Is there no other possible way to remove the gearknob?
If not then looks like ill be hacking away soon.:D

Back