Technical Gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox

bobbyt

Just Bought a 2000 Punto, really pleased with it except.... A couple of days after buying it gearchanging became a bit sticky. When i'm changing down from 5th to 4th sometimes it makes a meshing sound. Its intermitant, doesnt always happen, but its definatly not splipping in correctly sometimes. Does anyone have any idea whats causing it? The cars only 2 1/2 years old, great condition and i love it. Just am obviously concerned about the gearbox problem as i have no idea whats causing it. Can anyone help?????

Done that. The garage changed the fluid in both the gearbox & clutch (apparantley) & altered the setting on the hydraulics of the clutch cable (theres an adjuster at the end?).

seeing as the cars only 2 1/2 yrs old me gearbox\clutch cannit be knackered can it?

Could be "clutch spin" - where the clutch doesn't disengage fully. Put the front end of the car on axle stands, start the engine with the clutch down and 1st gear engaged, and have someone look to see if the wheels spin. If they do then the clutch isn't disengaging completely; this is most likely to be due to a knackered clutch release bearing.

FIAT: Fart In A Tin

Hi Bobbyt.
What sort of mileage has it done and do you know if it is city or motorway miles?
I know they always tell you its motorway miles on high milers! Is there any chance of getting in touch with the previous owner to check the mileage.
It could be the Fiat synchro problem.

Russ

Its under average mileage, 29000. What exactley is the "Fiat syncro problem"?

Is it just that faist gearboxes are crap or wot? I find it hard to believe that a modern motor could have such a sticky shift. Havent said that, a can live with the shifting not being the smoothest ever, but a want the meshing sorted out when changing from 5th to 4th.

Garages man, i just dont trust them at all - they must know what the problem is surely.

Cheers for your help guys.

I don't know about Punto gearboxes, but on Pandas they tend to crunch when changing up and down to third if you don't get the revs right. Also they can sometimes be a sod to get reverse, again there is a knack.
Having said all that, this usually happens on higher mileage cars. Have you managed to get in touch with the previous owner, maybe they can tell you something about the car.

Russ

i have got a sei mine is one year old and done 21k. Im awaiting the parts for fiat to fix it sounds likwe the same problem. Its the syncros in that gear that have gone and need raplacing. is it sill under warenty cos it wont cost you anything this way. dont know what they do or how they work. go down to your local fiat garage and ask tehm to have a look. they will have to take the 4th gear out so will take em aa few hours. My parts are ahving o come from abroad so not getting sorted till 18th Aug [:(!]

James

www.clubcento.co.uk

Back