Technical Gearbox problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox problem

Arbataxuk

Hi, I'm new to this forum so this may not even be the right place, but here goes anyway. I have a 1999 ducato 14 mh with 5 sp box. The problem I have is that it has decided to not go into 2nd under any circumstances ie engine on or off moving or stationary. I've checked the linkages and all seem free (not seized). The lever seems to go halfway down but just seems to hit a stop. I drove it down from Newark to Colchester and it was fine until the last 5 miles when it selected sometimes and not others. Could it be the linkage or is it something more sinister?
Are the linkage cables adjustable?

Hi, I'm new to this forum so this may not even be the right place, but here goes anyway. I have a 1999 ducato 14 mh with 5 sp box. The problem I have is that it has decided to not go into 2nd under any circumstances ie engine on or off moving or stationary. I've checked the linkages and all seem free (not seized). The lever seems to go halfway down but just seems to hit a stop. I drove it down from Newark to Colchester and it was fine until the last 5 miles when it selected sometimes and not others. Could it be the linkage or is it something more sinister?
Hi, If the gearbox selects all the other gears without a problem I suspect the problem is internal, if it was a linkage problem you would lose all the even gears or all the odd gears. I'm currently rebuilding my gearbox so I know how it all works inside and it sounds like something is preventing the second gear selector fork doing its job. Do you know which gearbox you have fitted as there are several versions and they are very different. If you can find the gearbox type I can maybe point you in the correct direction. It could be an MG5T or maybe an ML5 or an MLGU, you can't tell by age as the were all fitted over a similar time period.

Thanks for reply. The vehicle is now in the garage awaiting a recon gearbox. It definitely is an internal problem and the garage have located a company that can supply a reconditioned one, as yet I don't know if they recon my old one or swap for one already done, will find out tomorrow.
So again thanks for reply, I'll post on here when done.

Thanks for reply. The vehicle is now in the garage awaiting a recon gearbox. It definitely is an internal problem and the garage have located a company that can supply a reconditioned one, as yet I don't know if they recon my old one or swap for one already done, will find out tomorrow.
So again thanks for reply, I'll post on here when done.

Back