Technical Gearbox problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox problem

fizzell86

Hi guys,

I've just done my clutch in the 1.2 ELX w reg, since looked and after topping will gearbox oil it's leaking all over the drive. To be honest I don't think it had any in there anyway as it took 1.5 litres. I bought the car to do the clutch.

I took it for a drive and the gearbox is noisy as hell in 1st and 2nd, I was hoping it was just because it was dry in there but now I seen the leak aswell it's a bit more worrying.

It's dripping off of the inspection plate at the bottom af the box by the flywheel

help apriciated

Bad oil leak = no oil = screwed gearbox.

I'd look to the breakers for a new box because repairs will cost loads more.

Dont worry its the risk we take when buying an car with technical issues - we find out later what's really going on.

My HGT needed a new cam belt but I drove the car & 2 days later the cam belt stripped its teeth. Megabux to sort that. Its also needed new a clutch and battery. But I now KNOW that most things are sorted.

As WhiteSei says, the chances are that the gearbox is already screwed, so it will need to come off. You can have a quality rebuilt gearbox for ~£300 with new seals, forks, bearings etc... Well worth considering when you consider the hassle of fitting a gearbox. A car in the scrapyard could be there because of a failed gearbox, so you could buy it, spend a heap of time/money installing it and be no further forward.

That's why I said breakers who should give you a warranty. A good independent Fiat Alfa garage will have the right contacts.

Sounds like you have the famous Mk2 punto front gearbox bearing fault. About 1 in 3 punto clutches I do suffer from this. The front bearing in the gearbox fails allowing oil onto the clutch. Clutch then slips. When you had the gearbox out if you'd have wobbled the input shaft about you would have found noticeable movement, side to side. There should'nt be any! To repair it the parts (bearing and oil seal) cost about £25. Unfortunately you have to dismantle the box! Second hand boxes are not dear but CHECK THE SHAFT for movement, if there is any don't buy it.

HIya, and this would cause the oil to drip from the bell housing?

would I need hydraulic pullers to mess around with this.

thank you

The noise shows the gears are probably screwed so even with a new bearing it might still be noisy. Do as Flying D says and swap the box.

Yes, oil would drip from between the engine and gearbox. If the noise is a low pitched whine in 1st and 2nd it's caused by the shaft running off-centre because the bearing has gone. You don't need hydraulic pullers or anything like that, but unless your used to taking gearboxes apart I'm not sure you'd be advised to do it. As gearboxes go it's a fairly simple job.

Thanks for your help mate, it is a whiney noise but its quite crunchy aswell and it does judder a bit

Back