Technical gearbox or clutch?

Currently reading:
Technical gearbox or clutch?

That's really difficult to say but worth considering is that is could equally be a suspension/ steering part as something's moving more than it should when you take off the acceleration. Does it also happen with on/ off throttle movements? Does it happen when you put clutch down when stationary?
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Low down? Felt through the steering? Feel it at the gearshift?

yes it also happens when taking your foot on/off the gas.

the noise can be felt through the whole car, not just the steering wheel, and it doesn't do it when the car is stationary and you go through the gears.

It could be the suspension as i get a very loud creeking when going over speed bumps, which i thought was the bushes need greasing.

Last edited:
I think all Stilos creak over bumps unless well lubed

Time for jacking up I think and a bit of wheel wobbling to check for play. Could be so many things. Take it to Kwikgit if you're not sure and they'll give you an opinion (right or wrong)

Ok so went out tonight and did some playing about with it and was in 2nd gear put the clutch down noise waited a couple of seconds then changed into third with the clutch still down and the noise came again, with the clutch still down put it back into second and the noise came again.

this leads me to think it could be the gearbox?

With many gearboxes you pump oil in the filler hole until it comes back out of the same hole. Haven't had a look but i'd guess the Stilo is one of those

Others have their own level plug

went to move the car today and noticed a slight patch of oil on the floor, but it doesn't look from the gearbox, more like the engine, it could either be

oil filter not tight when it was serviced last month or;

could be oil from the gearbox leaking on the undertray then dripping off there.

does the undertray cover the gearbox? I would have thought so.

I'm gonna tighten up the filter and check oil etc at the weekend, if not it's a trip back to FIAT a month before the warranty runs out :)

Back