Technical Gearbox oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox oil

Is this checkable/changable at home or is it a dealer job? Just remembered it should have been done at last service :eek:

Get your car on a flat and even surface ..then undo the gearbox oil filler plug and if nowt comes out then top it up until something does :) unless of course there has to be a specific amount in there in which case then you will be better draining it all out and putting fresh back in :) I always used to check mine every service and change the oil at 30K which means mine is now overdue :bang: ;)

Well mines well overdue. How would I find out if there's a specific ammount that's supposed to be in there? And the type and viscosity of oil?

The amount should be specified in the hand book [I hope ] and use the tetula oil from fiat :)

Anyone got a pic or diagram of the location of the drain plug? The fill plug is easy to find, but the drain not so...

Just looked and it doesn't show it on Eper :bang: but I would have thought that it would be on the diff casing as this is the lowest point on the transmission and the diff is part of the unit and fed by the same oil :)

Would this be done by Fiat as part of service as and when required?

I've had mine since 43k and now 85kish and i've never done it myself, assumed they would.

Fiat say check transmission oil at 80 thousand Km and this should be done by fiat :confused: are they the only people capable of doing it then :rolleyes:

Is this on a 1.6 Roy... I saw that plug on Epper and though that was a bit high to be a drain plug 3" from the bottom and wouldn't drain out any gunge that might be at the bottom of the transmission casing :)

In a word NO,lol. got full dealer service history so would hope all is well. I've got no reaso to believe oil is low, my stilo drives like a dream, (touch wood) apart from suspension knocking

If it aint broke don't fix it....... or undo and take apart things that work fine !
I learnt that one the hard way.

So your taking on trust that they have and will check it :chin: will you pay 10 k into my bank account and I promise not to spend it :rolleyes:

Yep, I pay for a service and trust that is completed in accordance with the service scheduling that Fiat put together.

I understand your point but after nearly 4 years i cannot fault my dealer on their work, only the prices. They're a very small dealer and good at what they do.
Saying that i've had no major repair work done by them!! Howeve as yet I've had no reason to take the car elsewhere.

PM me your bank details and i'll see what I can do. LMFAO

PNL, I think you're right about the drain plug being on the back - seems obvious that Plug 7 would be the lowest point. I note that it's an M16 thread, so that suggests maybe a 10mm hex socket? if the fill plug on the front is M22, that would be a 12mm hex (Allen) socket, assuming that it's similar to the older FIATs I've worked on.

I have always found benefits in changing the gearbox oil on older FIATs - when you drain the old oil out, you find a combination of black sludge and swirls of metal. The EP additives, previously NOT used with FIAT gearboxes, have been used in models since the Tipo, but the result seems to be that the gearbox oil blackens and thickens - replacing it makes the shift nice again.

What does concern me is that with Selespeed, surely the same applies except that a robot is doing the gearshifting. Hence you wouldn't know if it was becoming sludgy (though, the computer does keep a record of failed gear-selections!) I therefore plan to change my Selespeed's gear oil (NOT the Selespeed oil, that's just the hydraulic fluid!) when I do my second (car's third) service next year.

I think the basic-gearbox type of the Selespeed is C530, so I'm going to look around from the link you gave, and see if I can find it...

-Alex

Back