Technical Gearbox Oil Filler - 2004 Scudo 2.0 Jtd

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Oil Filler - 2004 Scudo 2.0 Jtd

woodbine66

Had a look all over the web and can't find an answer to where to put geabox oil in my 2004 Scudo 2.0 Jtd van. Where do I put oil in please?

Some suggest breather on top that I can't find, some a large nut on the side pan found under the nearside wheelarch. I can't see any of these.

Also, how often should the 75W80 gearbox oil be changed?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Had a look all over the web and can't find an answer to where to put geabox oil in my 2004 Scudo 2.0 Jtd van. Where do I put oil in please?

Some suggest breather on top that I can't find, some a lage nut on the side pan found under the nearside wheelarch. I can't see any of these.

Also, how often should the 75W80 gearbox oil be changed?

Thanks for any advice.
If you have found the level plug add oil through the level plug.

If you find the reverse switch and it is higher than the level plug and easier to get to remove reverse switch and fill through switch hole.

If you have found the level plug add oil through the level plug.

If you find the reverse switch and it is higher than the level plug and easier to get to remove reverse switch and fill through switch hole.

Thanks for quick reply. That's it, I don't know where the level plug is. Also, not entirely sure where the reverse switch is either. If I lift out the filter box, there seems to be something with electrical connections on the top of the box. Is that the reverse switch?

Ah one oh the great mysteries of life.

Depending on the type of box it may or may not have a level plug.

If it does not have a level plug the correct procedure is to drain all the oil and refill with the correct volume of the correct oil.

There should be a breather screwed into the box near the top, that can also be used for filling oil. You may have found a reverse switch I can't tell.

Thanks again Jackwhoo. I popped the filter box off and found what I believe to be the breather and reverse switch almost next to each other (see left photo). Can you confirm whether the black plastic part is the breather and ok to fill the gearbox through this?

The other photo of what I think is the breather shows it with the cap removed - it easily pulled off. If I can't use the breather, I suppose I will have to use the reverse switch. However I would rather not as it's been in 16 years and I worry it might be tight and shear off if I try to unscrew it. As a precaution I did douse the base of the switch in WD40.

Attachments

• DSC01587.JPG
    DSC01587.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Thanks again Jackwhoo. I popped the filter box off and found what I believe to be the breather and reverse switch almost next to each other (see left photo). Can you confirm whether the black plastic part is the breather and ok to fill the gearbox through this?

The other photo of what I think is the breather shows it with the cap removed - it easily pulled off. If I can't use the breather, I suppose I will have to use the reverse switch. However I would rather not as it's been in 16 years and I worry it might be tight and shear off if I try to unscrew it. As a precaution I did douse the base of the switch in WD40.
Oh huge well done , Yes that is the breather and yes fill through there .

If it has a level plug it could be on the back of the diff housing , on the pressed metal plate that covers the end of gearbox that is in the wheel arch, on the diff housing above the right hand drive shaft .
There is somewhere else that slips my mind at the moment.

It's probably easier to drain the lot , and refill with the correct volume.
Measure what comes out so you have an idea of how much needs to go back in.

Oh huge well done , Yes that is the breather and yes fill through there .

Thanks, Jackwhoo - that's great news. Think I need to buy an 8mm square tool for drain plug - didn't have time to jack up and have a look under. Will see how I get on.

If it has a level plug it could be on the back of the diff housing , on the pressed metal plate that covers the end of gearbox that is in the wheel arch, on the diff housing above the right hand drive shaft .
There is somewhere else that slips my mind at the moment.

It's probably easier to drain the lot , and refill with the correct volume.
Measure what comes out so you have an idea of how much needs to go back in.

Sorry, I was typing while you replied. I had a look today for a large nut on the plate at end of diff under nearside wheelarch and there wasn't one. Have seen them on smaller engined HDIs like Berlingos and Partners.

So will just drain all of it and refill with 1.85 litres through breather. Do you know if I should use standard synthetic 75W80 gear oil or something from Fiat? Suppose after 13 years (not high mileage) the gearbox oil could do with a refresh.

Sorry, I was typing while you replied. I had a look today for a large nut on the plate at end of diff under nearside wheelarch and there wasn't one. Have seen them on smaller engined HDIs like Berlingos and Partners.

So will just drain all of it and refill with 1.85 litres through breather. Do you know if I should use standard synthetic 75W80 gear oil or something from Fiat? Suppose after 13 years (not high mileage) the gearbox oil could do with a refresh.
How many miles?
Any signs of any leaks?

Gear oil is not hydroscopic.

The pressed metal cover you can see in wheel arch is end cover of gear box.
The differential is in the bulge lower down to rear, the drive shafts go into centre of diff.

Last edited:
What ever you do
1, make 100% sure you use the correct gear oil. If it must not have ep oil properties do not use ep oil, it will cause problems.

2, make 100% sure you find out the exact volume to put in the gearbox fitted to your individual van.

3, measure whatever you drain out and do not add less than that amount of fresh oil to gearbox.

Recommended oil is synthetic 75W80, so will poss use Millers GL5. Box holds 1.85 litres apparently and will measure what comes out.

Thanks for your advice, and I hope this is useful to someone filling their 2.0 Scudo box, as there's lots of conflicting info out there.

Back