Gearbox oil drain plug & rear brakes

Currently reading:
Gearbox oil drain plug & rear brakes

hangten

I am going to change the gear box oil on my wife's Punto 1.2SX (Mk1); I have looked in Hanyes and they show a drain plug on the side of the gear box near one of the driveshafts and for the life of me I can't see the darn thing, please can someone tell me where it is.

Also a general question about removing the rear brake drums on the Punto. I was trying to get them off for inspection the other day without success. It appears that a ridge has been worn that won't let me take them off. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get these off. I assume I need to get the brake shoes to retract a bit. Would it help to disconnect the handbrake cable? Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Drain plug - this faces the back of the car and is kinda on the centreline of the car. If you get underneath, it is near the gearbox mount that bolts to the underside of the chassis.

Shoes - Try slackening off the handbrake adjustment from inside the car. When you get the drums off, remove the lip with some 80 grit sandpaper or a file to prevent this problem happening again.

If this doesn't help, try posting in the Punto tech section - if you haven't already done so.

Back