Ducato gearbox oil change

Currently reading:
Ducato gearbox oil change

Anvil

Hi guys, i am a virgin on this site so please be gentle with me. I have a 2007 Ducato 160 multijet 3ltr and i would like to change the gearbox oil, does anyone have pictures of where the drain and filler plugs are please.

Unless you suspect it's been contaminated or have done an enormous mileage, manual gearbox oil is not routinely changed these days. If you do go ahead, make sure the plugs and surroundings are thoroughly cleaned off before opening to avoid the risk of grit etc getting in !

Thanks for your reply Anthony489 and yes it has done quite a lot of miles, 122 thousand and second gear is rasping on change down so thought i would change the oil first to see if that will save me the bother of getting the synchro hub replaced.

Log in, go to the downloads section at the top menu, locate the Ducato section, and then select "Fiat Ducato Training Manual" (about the 7th entry down).

The second manual in there available for download (the 6.60MB one) covers the 3.0 engine and gearbox, and the diagrams from p117 onwards should provide the info you want.

Pretty straightforward job, drain plug is on the semi circular casting at the lowest point on gearbox. Don't undo until you've made sure you can access the fill plug first. Fill plug is best undone from below, its located at front of gearbox about midway up in the engine bay, near to a sensor plug, access is easier if you unclip the sensor wiring. Filling is done from above with a tube which you will have to manoeuvre into place in the fill hole, removing the air filter cover might make access easier but is not usually necessary. There is no fill level indicator, so drain all old oil and refill with specified amount 2.9L best to warm engine first. Clean of the drain plug magnet and check for debris. It's fairly normal for some very fine 'paste' to be present but any particles or lumps of metals may suggest more serious issues such as disintegrating bearings or chipped teeth. If the latter plan on a rebuild sooner rather than later......

Don't know about the 3 litre, but with the 2.2 its easier to take the battery box out and work from above

Will try to upload a photo. This was taken from inside the van, through the hole in the floor created when you take the battery box out (just 4 more bolts once the battery is out) It shows the 6 speed MLGU P transmission fitted to the X2/50 2.2 & 2.3 (don't know about the 3 litre) There is a plastic cap held in place by one bolt - you need to prise it out evenly to avoid cracking it which would be very difficult to do from below, as would cleaning around it and refilling the oil. Photo shows the cap removed - the oil level below was 15mm from the top when the van was new (and still the same after 80,000 miles), and there is a ridge in the casting at that level, so in the absence of any more reliable information I have to assume this to be the correct oil level.

Attachments

• X250 Trans oil (2).JPG
    X250 Trans oil (2).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 355
On the 2.3 van with the MLGU box it's easiest to just unclip the breather cap from the top of the gearbox and refill through a funnel attached to a length of tubing. Removing the air filter box cover and the air filter helps with access, but isn't essential.

You do need to fully drain the box first and replace with the correct quantity of oil, as there's no facility for checking the level.

That's the method used in the Fiat manual.

Attachments

• Breather.JPG
    Breather.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 273
From eLearn for the 3 Litre X250

Whilst I haven't attached the instructions, there is an expectation that the air-filter box will be removed to enable access.

Attachments

• 3litre gearbox1.JPG
    3litre gearbox1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 568
  • 3litre gearbox2.JPG
    3litre gearbox2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 523
On the 2.3 van with the MLGU box it's easiest to just unclip the breather cap from the top of the gearbox and refill through a funnel attached to a length of tubing. Removing the air filter box cover and the air filter helps with access, but isn't essential.

You do need to fully drain the box first and replace with the correct quantity of oil, as there's no facility for checking the level.

That's the method used in the Fiat manual.

I can see why its recommended in the manual because its quicker than taking the battery out.
But I don't think its easier, and, as you say, there's no facility for checking the level like there is if you do it from above through the battery box hole.

Last edited:
The 3.0 has a different gearbox to the 2.3 with different fill location, no benefit in removing battery box, but filling can be done without removing air filter using tube and funnel as per my previous post.

The 3.0 has a different gearbox to the 2.3 with different fill location, no benefit in removing battery box, but filling can be done without removing air filter using tube and funnel as per my previous post.
Hi from Australia. Can you please help me. I attach two photos that I need help with. I have the 180 multijet 6 speed. Can you tell me if in the photo that is the filler plug and in the second can you please tell me what the white bottle container is for. Kindest Regards Merv

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_095333.jpg
    IMG_20220919_095333.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20220919_095112.jpg
    IMG_20220919_095112.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 250
Back