gearbox oil additives?

Currently reading:
gearbox oil additives?

my puntos 2nd gear is slightly crunchy, but, it only starts once the engine has warmed up for over 5 minutes and the hotter the engine, the more often it does it, which makes me think one of these additives which doesnt thin the oil out as much should work or make it do it less.

its got new 75w90 sythetic in at the moment.

looking at slick 50 additives (expensive lol)

anyone tried?

Are you driving the car any harder once it's warmed up? Is the clutch pedal acting differant or the same?

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to replace or fix the gearbox rater than hiding the symptons with oil additives?

After all if its a mechanical problem with the synchro or an internal bearing or a tooth chipped on a cog or something similar it'll only get worse then one day it'll bend you over and extract all your money via your ring peice ;)

Are you driving the car any harder once it's warmed up? Is the clutch pedal acting differant or the same?

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to replace or fix the gearbox rater than hiding the symptons with oil additives?

After all if its a mechanical problem with the synchro or an internal bearing or a tooth chipped on a cog or something similar it'll only get worse then one day it'll bend you over and extract all your money via your ring peice ;)

well i tend to drive the car harder when warm yes, but thats cos i dont want to rag it when cold, but its noticable that if a rag it cold i get no crunchy gear, once warm it starts to do it now and again, once fully warm, 95% of the time if above 3k revs.

its been like this for over 60,000 miles, and the box has 131,000 miles on it, so any extra life i get out of it is a bonus really, it works fine other than the crunchy 2nd gear.

Maybe you are leaving it too late to change to 2nd?
I drive a Merc lorry at work -
1st gear will get you 5 yards before the powerband drops to 0 so you have to set off dead slow & change slowly.
Set of in 2nd is no problem.
However you set off, you have to get up the box fast, so very short distances between gear changes & also low revs else the box crashes on each change & 4th gear by 25mph.
Going down the box is just as bad, 3rd to 2nd can only be done at a relative crawl - it simply will not drop in otherwise.
Thing is, I've driven this from new (1998) & it's always done it so it's 2nd nature now.
The mechs say there's nothing wrong with it.
It's now just short of half a million on the clock and only two new clutches - which made no difference.
With good timing though, it is possible to get away from junctions etc in a hurry - but you need to blip the throttle between gears (in neutral).

Maybe you are leaving it too late to change to 2nd?
I drive a Merc lorry at work -
1st gear will get you 5 yards before the powerband drops to 0 so you have to set off dead slow & change slowly.
Set of in 2nd is no problem.
However you set off, you have to get up the box fast, so very short distances between gear changes & also low revs else the box crashes on each change & 4th gear by 25mph.
Going down the box is just as bad, 3rd to 2nd can only be done at a relative crawl - it simply will not drop in otherwise.
Thing is, I've driven this from new (1998) & it's always done it so it's 2nd nature now.
The mechs say there's nothing wrong with it.
It's now just short of half a million on the clock and only two new clutches - which made no difference.
With good timing though, it is possible to get away from junctions etc in a hurry - but you need to blip the throttle between gears (in neutral).

I used to drive a bus like that - only way from 3 to 2 was to slow down to below 15mph.
1 through to 4 was allways neutral, revs, gear

i can now confirm that my 2nd gear crunch has now totaly disapeared, iv done about 1000 miles since putting in molyslip in with the old gearbox oil and even when really using high revs/fast gear change it doesnt crunch at all (y)

pretty amazing stuff imo, seeing as its been doing it for over 5 years.

Back