Technical Gearbox noise

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox noise

My Sei sometimes grinds/crunches when I change into 2nd. It seems to happen about once/day. It's usually when I'm doing about 30mph. The sound it makes is similar to the sound you sometimes get if you ram it into reverse immediately after pressing the clutch pedal.

What could this be? Dodgy gearbox, dodgy clutch, something else, or a dodgy driver ;). I try to be gentle with the 'box, and on one occasion when it made this noise my revs were almost perfectly matched too. It happens before the clutch is released.

899cc Sei SX (42k)

is it hard to change the gear, and does it do somethin similar when goin into first?

could be your clutch cable it too slack, meanin when u press the clutch the cable doesnt disengage the gears enough, causing that crunching sound!

your clutch pedal should be a few centemeters below level with the brake pedal.

u can adjust the cable by lookin under the front of the bumper for a large black nut that will have the metal end of the cable through it, tighten it up, (righty tighty) and c if that makes any difference

mase said:
is it hard to change the gear, and does it do somethin similar when goin into first?

could be your clutch cable it too slack, meanin when u press the clutch the cable doesnt disengage the gears enough, causing that crunching sound!

your clutch pedal should be a few centemeters below level with the brake pedal.

u can adjust the cable by lookin under the front of the bumper for a large black nut that will have the metal end of the cable through it, tighten it up, (righty tighty) and c if that makes any difference

It's only ever happened in 2nd gear. I just checked the clutch pedal, and it appears to be adjusted correctly.

Back