General Gearbox Mounting?

Currently reading:
General Gearbox Mounting?

ytareh

Established member
I have one of these gone on the top passenger side of engine bay.Is it a big job to replace?Need any tools?Trolley Jack etc?Is it dangerous to leave it for a couple of weeks?

Takes about 20mins and is well described in the Haynes manual.

You'll need a trolley jack and an axle stand, although you can get away with the supplied jack if you have a couple of wind up type axle stands (you need to remove the nearside wheel, place an axle stand in the usual place to support the car, then use a jack/wind-up axle stand to support the gearbox -- use a peice of wood beween gearbox and jack, etc).

Given that it's so simple (but requires maybe £25 quid worth of kit which you may not have) it might be worthwhile getting a dealer to do it.

Are you sure that only the gearbox mount is knackered?

ytareh said:
it dangerous to leave it for a couple of weeks?

depends how damaged it is. i damaged mine when the rear gearbox mount failed. i had bought a new mount for the front but had not fitted it. it snapped on the M6 leaving the engine not very supported. The charcoal canister skimmed the floor and the connector for the solenoid on it came out - throwing the injector warning light on.

Remove the charcoal canister by removing its mounting bracket, therefore none of it is in the way. Its an easy enough job, enjoy, when I got mine removed couldnt believe how trashed it was.

Back