Technical gearbox mount help asap please

Currently reading:
Technical gearbox mount help asap please

right today the car developed a nice knock in the passenger side of the engine bay.
not affected by rev's or clutch but seems to be rotational. changes with speed.
now im thinking one of the gearbox mounts has gone(or maybe both!)
parked up and had top move the car anyway but now no knocking but as i drove it gradually returned.
i seem to recall a thread where the mount had gone and was letting the g/box drop onto the driveshaft and im thinking this is whats happening.
perhaps parking up lets the engine settle back,hence the noise going away.
i,m working just now so cant get underneath before it gets dark :(
had a look from above and the left front 'looks' gubbed as i can put a finger between the rubber and metal plate on the bottom of the mount which i assume should be joined or at least tight up together.
anyone think its the front mount or should i order both? i will be ordering from Fiat!!!!(i know)as i can get the parts in for tomorrow most likely but would need to phone in the next couple of hours

ta

custard boy said:
right today the car developed a nice knock in the passenger side of the engine bay.
not affected by rev's or clutch but seems to be rotational. changes with speed.
now im thinking one of the gearbox mounts has gone(or maybe both!)
parked up and had top move the car anyway but now no knocking but as i drove it gradually returned.
i seem to recall a thread where the mount had gone and was letting the g/box drop onto the driveshaft and im thinking this is whats happening.
perhaps parking up lets the engine settle back,hence the noise going away.
i,m working just now so cant get underneath before it gets dark :(
had a look from above and the left front 'looks' gubbed as i can put a finger between the rubber and metal plate on the bottom of the mount which i assume should be joined or at least tight up together.
anyone think its the front mount or should i order both? i will be ordering from Fiat!!!!(i know)as i can get the parts in for tomorrow most likely but would need to phone in the next couple of hours

ta

Would be no real harm in ordering both, even if one hasnt gone - may be worth replacing anyway or just to keep as a spare :)

yeah probably right.rear one is in stock for a change so i'll pick that up tomorrow and fit it over the weekend. front is ordered and wil be in tuesday. suppose i may as well fit the other anti roll bar end bracket i never got round to fitting while im working on it.

right an update after losing some nice chunks off flesh.
right got the gearbox mount. not a big job really.
2 17mm bolts to disconnect from the gearbox and 2 13mm bolts to release from the chassis.
but as the mount was shagged the 17mm bolt that holds the mount to the gearbox bracket was turning. fiat fit a little flange to the mount and bracket to prevent it turning but mine was skipping over the flange even with the 'box jacked up tight to the mount.
had to remove the whole lot and 'persuade' the flange right over with my adjuster to stop it turning.
re assembled in the car the bloody bolt then sheared(doh!)but at least it allowed the bracket off to attach to the new mount.

hoping fiat stock the bolt since they had the mount in stock as the gearox is up on an axle stand just now :(

right then,an ongoing saga.
ordered a new bolt from fiat and upon fitting it it didnt feel right and seemed to long.
left it in and phoned fiat.ordered in a different bolt. today got those bolts which were obviously too small.
then tried to remove the other bolt and would it budge,would it hell.
ended up with me taking the mount to fiat and under no uncertain terms that i wanted that bolt removed.
a good while later the bolt is removed :D but they are still uncertain as to the bolt i require(sigh)
so does anyone know the specs of the bolt that attaches the gearbox mount to the bracket on the front of the gearbox?

cars now been of the road since saturday fro one bolt :(

Last edited:
Back