Technical Gearbox issues?

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox issues?

WolfCrazy64

Hello everyone, recently my sei has started having a few gearbox problems. It crunches when putting it into reverse ( although it will go in)
And sometimes 1st and 2nd gear are difficult to get into or won't go in at all. 1st gear sometimes makes a clunking sound as well.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

Hello everyone, recently my sei has started having a few gearbox problems. It crunches when putting it into reverse ( although it will go in)
And sometimes 1st and 2nd gear are difficult to get into or won't go in at all. 1st gear sometimes makes a clunking sound as well.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

Is there gearbox oil in the gearbox? It could be an adjustment issue at the gearbox end, do a search on the forum. Also it may be the reverse inhibitor cable if sei's are fitted with them? They stretch, mine has to be pulled manually!

nath

there is a fill hole at the front of the box. When you open it (on flat ground) it should flow out then you know is fine.

It should to be, you need to adjust your clutch cable.

With car engine off, does it goes into the gear easily?

Ming

Is your clutch clearing proprely?
Normally if it crunches into reverse/tight in lower gears it's the clutch

1st gear still clunks when engine is off, as does 2nd.
The reverse gear only crunches when engine is on.

My experience is that this is normally caused by the clutch, or more likely wear in the release bearing/mechanism.

Adjusting the clutch can bring back the foot-pedal to the correct place, but it doesn't help give enough clearance. The changes you most notice this on are getting into reverse and then 1st to second.

At about the time when you start thinking, gosh it is even hard to get it into first, there will be a bang as the release bearing does one final release and gives up the ghost and then you won't be able to change gear at all.

Replacement is not too hard to do, but make sure you replace all the worn parts; Clutch and release bearing for sure, but also release-fork if there is any wear and cable for good measure.

eib

Back