Technical Gearbox failure

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox failure

iandromiskin

Hi, Just came across this board and decided to bear my soul. I have a 2004 Stilo Multewagon (yes I know its a slow heavy thing, but I love it) but lately the gearbox has decided to cause trouble.

Basically, I think some or many of the bearings have gone or are worn together with the syncromesh (sorry for spelling) so I have to bring it a local garage to get them to look at it and see if the bits can be replaced. Hopefully I won't have to go the whole hog and get a new one :(.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with a multiwagon or saloon ??

My car was an ex Fiat demo model and you don't see many of them on the road. Its over its warrently so no help from Fiat, but I did send them a begging complaint kind of email to see if I can get anything, even labour costs, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
What engine do you have in the MW ? petrol/jtd ..I have found that parts for rebuilding the stilo gearboxes are hard to source and can take considerable time to import from Italy so lets hope its nothing major (y)

It could be just the gear linkages/cables. If you are having difficulty selecting gears, then the above could well apply. If it is whining, then I'm afraid the box could be shot.

I replaced the gear linkage on a 4 year old Corsa that was diagnosed as needing a new box by a local garage and it worked a treat. Took me about an hour as I had to jack the car up (I'm not a mechanic).

Crunching into gear could mean a clutch issue also.

What is the nature of the problem?

Last edited:
What is the nature of the problem?

Well the original nature of the problem was whining of gear sounds from the gearbox when driven, with problems engaging third gear (it sliped out of gear) and of coming down from fifth to fourth etc. I had it booked into a garage later this week to get it looked at to see if we could just replace parts, but on the way home last night, the gearbox went totally. No gears at all, and serious nasty grinding sounds either when in gear or even in neutral with the clutch out. So RIP gearbox. Had to abondon the car in a local village. :cry:

Last edited:
My JTD broke its gear linkage a few months ago, luckily it was replaced under warranty.

I was still able to change gear, but had to be ever so careful with it before the part got delivered. When i was in 5th, the lever was as though i was in 1st :eek:

Probably a really stupid question this, but what would you do ?

I have two choices. I was onto Fiat and they said to bring it to a garage to get looked at and if the box has to be replaced then they might, might, make a good will payment of a couple hundred euro towards the cost of repair. Mind you if I have to fit a new reconditioned box (1200 euro) plus labour and VAT it could amount to 1500 euro more.

Second option is to trace a box out of a scraped car and get the local mechanic to fit it. Box would be about 450 euro plus labour etc might total 800 euro ish.

Obviously one is cheaper, but what sort of guarantee is there that the scraper box won't break down in a couple hundred miles, especially if its from an 03 car with 50000 miles on it ?? The same thing might happen again ???

Talk about a quandry ???

a few years back I had a problem where my gear stick shifting felt like moving through a bag of broken glass. Turned out it was the plastic bearings / guide thingy below the stick, not the gear box. can't remember what it was called. :) must cut down on the wine...

a few years back I had a problem where my gear stick shifting felt like moving through a bag of broken glass. Turned out it was the plastic bearings / guide thingy below the stick, not the gear box. can't remember what it was called. :) must cut down on the wine...

Think that is what mine was, all it was is a part that seems to guide the gearlever into the box - did the mechanic get at yours through your bonet, he managed to fix mine that way as opposed to removing the gearlever etc :rolleyes:

i am one of the unlucky ones who is now on his third gearbox, this is just one of the threads, but just search my threads and you'll find em

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/77624-my-stilo-exploded.html

Basically car stopped changing to thrid properly, had 3rd/4th synchro replaced and third gear. got car back, fine for 2 days, then starting whining. took it back, dealer agreed isnt right, fiat uk wouldnt authorise the work to find out why, argued with fiat uk for about 7 months till the above post, got a new box.

THEN that started making a noise, and gave up the ghost in jan this year, again a new box went in at fiats cost and touch wood has been right since

Brought my car to a fiat garage and it turns out there was no oil in the box hence the failure. They were asking me about if anyone touched a plug during work or a service as they claim there is no damage or failure to the casing that would explain the loss of oil. I get the impression that they want to blame human error during routine service. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I ring them up or look at the box myself ?

This must be a common problem.

Good news is that he had a second hand gearbox rather than a reconditioned one, so its going to cost me less than it should. Still a lot of money, but it could have been worse.

Bad news is that Fiat say no to any sort of good will gesture, surprise, surprise !!!! Car was serviced about three months ago and garage says the oil was in the box at the time, but Fiat garage says no oil in box - tough. So I'am left with the full tab. :bang:

If you've lost all oil from the gearbox then it will be very obvious. Just get under the car and you'll notice the oil deposits straight away which in turn should give a good clue as to where the oil leaked from.

While you're about it take a careful look for damage to the casing.

This assumes someone hasn't simply emptied all the oil and then replaced the plug of course :eek: :confused:

Back