Technical Gearbox drive shaft oil seal kits

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox drive shaft oil seal kits

StuartIreland

Hi,I am looking for a complete gearbox drive shaft oil seal kit for a 1995 Fiorino 1.7D VIN - 08415755.
Both seals were replaced by a garage(because I had broken my hand) only 2 years ago with parts that I had found 5 years before.
The seal should have lasted more than 2 years if it the work had been done properly and cleanly.(I live near the sea so there is always sand around)
It is the passenger side that is leaking again.
I have contacted the company I bought the seals from 5 years ago and they can not help and other Fiat parts companies are also saying not available. :bang: all help appreciated (y)

Hi Peter,

I got all parts I need from http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/ ..... I have taken the shafts and rubbers off and I have found that the garage only replaced One seal/bearing and rubber on the short shaft..Even though I supplied Seals/bearings and boots for both sides and was charged for both sides to be changed..The Original Seals/bearings are a slightly different design to the replacement ones that I supplied and I have been sent the same design replacement ones again..Which is how I know only one side was changed...The seal/bearing that was replaced is facing with the rubber back of the seal/bearing outwards from the boot and has been exposed to road dirt....Can you confirm if these bearing/seals can be fitted either way or should they be facing metal side out of the rubber boot as the original bearing/seal is.

Hi Peter,Yes that is the set up,with the bearing/seal inside the rubber boot but the diagram shows the bearing facing rubber side out.

Hi,Dirty Hands,Yes that is the set up

Last edited:
you should not see anything from that link as boot covers the metal bit ,if it sticks out its wrong (y)

Hi,The shaft on the other side with the older bearing that was not changed is metal side out and was not leaking but the new bearing that was fitted is rubber side out ....The rubber boot does not cover the entire bearing if rubber side out as the rubber boot has a hole that is bigger than the shaft diameter and is the same size as the small part of the bearing....This is the problem, I have with two bearings fitted different ways around..If fitted metal side out the bearing fits snug in the boot..The rubber boot in the photo you supplied is different from the boot on this van.Have you got a picture of a 1995 shaft without the rubber boot to see the direction of the bearing? Regards, Stuart

or is that your setup?
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/303510-leaking-gearbox-drive-shaft.html

the first link i posted that boot and bearing slides onto shaft and moves,the one above is tapped onto shaft noting the correct position,it will only fit on one way,i think its the smaller end out through small end of boot,try it off vehicle for fitting first,boot is put on after seal in position,other end has a slot for oil to enter to keep bearing lubed.:D

metal side out been the smaller yes?

Last edited:
Hi,The pictures are exactly the same as the bearing I have.The garage had fitted the rubber side(bigger) facing out....So they did fit the bearing the wrong way round as I thought.Yes the bearing fits snug in the rubber boot with the smaller metal side facing out.Which is why it is leaking again after they repaired it.Thank you for your help.

question is was the metal bit replaced or just the rubber,i have seen boot only done as bearing was dry and boot had a rip.(y)

Hi,The older bearing ( that does not look the one in the picture ) came off the shaft easily with a tap.What is now left on the shaft is a metal shim.The bearing is intact.Was this the original design.The new bearing design (the one in the picture) will not go over the shim.The other shaft has the new bearing design with no shim.Is it needed to take this shim off or could I just seat the new bearing behind this shim?I have a tool made to go over the shaft to gently tap the new bearings on to the shafts.

Hi,looking at the picture the thing I thought was a shim looks like No-1....The new bearing will go up to it if it was tapped but would not go over as the other bearing was slightly bigger diameter.I will try to sort some pictures out as the old bearing is a different design.

Hi,No- 15 is the picture of the old style bearing and you can see that it is facing small side inwards which is how it was on this drive shaft and the new bearing design puts the small side outwards through the rubber boot.This bearing fits over No-1,the bearing came off clean and was not destroyed leaving anything behind.But the new bearing is a fraction smaller in diameter.

i have asked fiat to send me photo of boot and bearing to see if i can see a difference of wrong part supplied or modification hopefully i can see it :yuck::cry::D

I am trying to upload photos now but I am having problems as I have not uploaded photos before

Back