General Gearbox/Clutch Release Bearing.. HELP!

Currently reading:
General Gearbox/Clutch Release Bearing.. HELP!

Guaje7

Only a month after my cambelt snapped, I've not got to foot the bill for what looks like either a gearbox or a damaged clutch release bearing.

I was driving to Tesco's today, and after parking up, doing shopping, and getting back into the car, it wouldn't start.. everything else with the car worked, but when I tried to turn the engine over, it just wouldn't.. it made NO noise at all... eventually, after about 15 minutes, the car started (engine overheating?).. I took the car home, but on the way, towards the end of a five minute journey, a rattling/scraping sound could be heard coming from somewhere around the engine bay.. it sounded like it was something scraping the floor (but wasn't).. This noise was very intermittent and didn't seem to stop once it had started. I could feel the vibration in the car and particularly on the clutch pedal. The car suffered no obvious loss of performance, and only seems to do this at low speeds in low gears.

I got the RAC out, they told me it's either the gearbox or the clutch release bearing - but it's impossible to know until a garage has a full look at it.

...This is going to be costly, isn't it..? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well if you need a new gearbox that can be pricy depending on where you source your gearbox, also the clutch release bearing will require a whole new clutch as you should replace both anyway, when idleing do you have a whirring noise which comes and goes when pressing the clutch in (engine on)? if so then it proberly is the bearing.

hi sounds like your clutch pressure plate has broke..i have had a couple like this..dan

Thanks for your posts. How difficult would it be to diagnose the problem specifically..? I have to claim this through my warranty, and they basically need to know the exact problem and projected cost.

Would a garage be able to diagnose the fault and cost without too much problem?

Thanks for your posts. How difficult would it be to diagnose the problem specifically..? I have to claim this through my warranty, and they basically need to know the exact problem and projected cost.

Would a garage be able to diagnose the fault and cost without too much problem?

surely if you have some warranty on the car all the bills for diagnosis and repaire will be covered

or are you trying to self diagnose it to find out if it will be covered or not

my release bearing needs replacing as well, how much will this cost me to get fixed as i want to sell my fiat!

Back