Technical Gearbox and Engine Oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox and Engine Oil

balldee1

Hi Guys,
2008 Multipla Multijet 1.9 TD 108,000 miles Had the clutch changed at 85000 miles.
Having extreme trouble changing gears when engine is hot. When engine cold, gear change is trouble free. Have had previous issues with clutch hydraulics and back bleeding resolved this, but the issue has returned. Is the engine oil and the gearbox oil the same? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Guys,
2008 Multipla Multijet 1.9 TD 108,000 miles Had the clutch changed at 85000 miles.
Having extreme trouble changing gears when engine is hot. When engine cold, gear change is trouble free. Have had previous issues with clutch hydraulics and back bleeding resolved this, but the issue has returned. Is the engine oil and the gearbox oil the same? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any help would be appreciated!
Gearbox oil 2litres is separate to engine oil 4.5litres. Spec. in photo if enlarged. Assuming gear oil level correct and no funny noises from gearbox, then possibly still a hydraulics issue. May sound daft but try pumping pedal twice before changing gear and see if goes in easier, if so would indicate hydraulics. No damp at top of clutch pedal area where rod goes into master cylinder?

Attachments

• DSCF0493.JPG
    DSCF0493.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 56
If you do end up needing master cylinder seals I have some.
There is a return spring inside the master cylinder for the piston, if spring breaks can cause problems.
Easiest master cylinder fix is leave master cylinder in place-remove internals from footwell ,fit new internals from footwell .

From memory , oh dear, the slave cylinder push rod should move out 12mm with a full press of pedal.

There is a post on the forum somewhere with the measurement made at time.

Gearbox oil 2litres is separate to engine oil 4.5litres. Spec. in photo if enlarged. Assuming gear oil level correct and no funny noises from gearbox, then possibly still a hydraulics issue. May sound daft but try pumping pedal twice before changing gear and see if goes in easier, if so would indicate hydraulics. No damp at top of clutch pedal area where rod goes into master cylinder?
Many thanks for the info. Mechanic found cylinder on top of gearbox was noisy in operation. Serviced cylinder and bled it and problem seems to be resolved. He took it on a 20 mile round trip as did I and its as good as ever. We discussed changing the gearbox oil sooner rather than later, as I doubt it has ever been changed, certainly not since I've owned it at 75000 miles! Thanks again.

If you do end up needing master cylinder seals I have some.
There is a return spring inside the master cylinder for the piston, if spring breaks can cause problems.
Easiest master cylinder fix is leave master cylinder in place-remove internals from footwell ,fit new internals from footwell .

From memory , oh dear, the slave cylinder push rod should move out 12mm with a full press of pedal.

There is a post on the forum somewhere with the measurement made at time.
Many thanks jackwhoo, info gratefully received.

Back