Technical Gearbox and Clutch question

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox and Clutch question

I have a 1.6 Dynamic 52 plate. Needs a new gearbox and clutch. Mr Cousins has offered to sell me his if it is salvageable. Would a gearbox from a 1.4 fit my car? I am going to ask my mechanic how much he would charge to do the job but he loves to inflate issues and prices so any advice / input would be much appreciated. Started a new thread here as I didnt want to hijack the fuel consumption one.

I am currently looking at £700 for him to supply and fit but this comes with a 12 month guarantee. A much cheaper option would be the difference between getting it back on the road this side of Christmas as things stand right now.

Thank you, he said he would need both cars present to say if the gearbox from one would fit the other and that isnt an option. He also couldnt tell me what his hourly rate for labour was - which makes me think he makes it up as he goes along..... I will call them on Monday, are they in North London?

£700 sounds a little OTT for a gearbox, depends on what box he is putting in I guess. The one year guarantee makes it a bit more worth while though. You could quite easily drop a second hand gear box in for £400 all in if you shop around and get lucky but then you have no come back if it blows up after 1000 miles...

Isn't the 1.4 engine a slightly different layout to the 1.6? I know the 1.2 gearbox wont fit for sure... not that that's much help I'm sure, just if you do shop around and consider one :)

£700 is for a recon gearbox, clutch and 3 hours labour but I am going to make some calls and see if I can get that down a bit.

£700 is for a recon gearbox, clutch and 3 hours labour but I am going to make some calls and see if I can get that down a bit.

Down my way labour charges hover around the £60 per hour rate for back street places and no doubt it will be more at London rates..if he cant tell you how much an hour he charges then I wouldn't bother with this guy cos he will give you a shock bill and make your pips squeak no doubt..most respectable garages will have no problem telling you their hourly charge ..(y) any doubt ask him to break the bill down [itemise it] in a quote [not estimate] an estimate is just that and he could add stuff..;)

:O oh dear lol....that was a bit of a waste of time...sorry...i guess my quote was low because my box wasnt trashed...

No not a waste of time at all. I called a few places this morning and they all came back with pretty much the same price give or take 50 quid. My concern now is that my local guy doesnt realise how much the recon gearbox is going to be and hes going to inflate his price when he realises. Ill raise £700 leave it with him and cross that bridge when I come to it lol. I have £200 so far :(

Back