General Gear stick or Linkage, or worse?

Currently reading:
General Gear stick or Linkage, or worse?

steluca5

Hello,

1.4 T-Jet Sporting 2009. 72000 miles.

Nothing quite like wasting a weekend! My car has been stiff at going into gears 1 and 2, on Friday it decided to stop working all together and I THINK it's now stuck in 3rd and 4th with the gear stick acting normally moving forward and back but moving freely left and right with no resistance and it doesn't care if the clutch is in or not. I managed to limp it home in third.

LINKAGE! Sprang to mind as I've read about the issue enough time on the forum. I've included a video from the engine bay. I have no friends so had to rest it on the battery so sorry it's a bit crap. As you can see forward and back work fine but there is only slight movement left to right. So I though surely its popped off under the gear stick. Nope! Seems firmly on.

Anyway I popped all cables off, removed the exhaust and removed the entire gearstick. Greased it all up put it back in and it's exactly the same. The weird thing is the cable that I thought was faulty seems to work fine. When you pull one end the other follows it and vice versa. Do I just order a new cable and hope for the best?

I'm temped to get a new gear stick so have included a pic but I can't find a single one on eBay - can anyone help me find either the correct cable, or the full shabang? Maybe something from Alfa share the same assembly?

Attachments

• Linkage.jpg
    Linkage.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 65
  • linkage2.jpg
    linkage2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 34
I bought new linkage in the end along with a second hand gear stick assembly and that fixed my issue.

To confirm it was the gearstick rather than the linkage but I thought i'd replace it while doing that job.

Back