General Gear linkage cable adjustment

Currently reading:
General Gear linkage cable adjustment

I posted it on the right section but I didn't receive any reply, so I was trying to find other alternatives, however the guide postee by Koalar is indeed for Grands Punto

Perhaps it is worthwhile taking the gear lever cover off and checking the reverse lock is working correctly.

It is just a simple stop for the gear lever. Nothing changes at the gearbox.

If your reverse lock is working correctly your cable is the wrong length by a few cms.

Last edited:
Perhaps it is worthwhile taking the gear lever cover off and checking the reverse lock is working correctly.

It is just a simple stop for the gear lever. Nothing changes at the gearbox.

If your reverse lock is working correctly your cable is the wrong length by a few cms.

I'll check the reverse lock, but to me it's like all the gears are far to the left, it's like 5th and 6th are almost in the middle.

You know where I can check the part number for the cable? I want to buy the right one using the part number, thank you though

I'll check the reverse lock, but to me it's like all the gears are far to the left, it's like 5th and 6th are almost in the middle.

You know where I can check the part number for the cable? I want to buy the right one using the part number, thank you though
I think your cable is too long. Does it have an adjuster on it?

The cable you need to be looking at is the top cable. that should have the adjuster on it. and that top cable controls left to right on the gear lever.

If you get some metal with holes in it and some nuts and bolts you can probably reposition the cable support so the existing cable works correctly

What is the history of this fault?

Part numbers can be found at the ePER link on this forum

Last edited:
I think your cable is too long. Does it have an adjuster on it?

The cable you need to be looking at is the top cable. that should have the adjuster on it. and that top cable controls left to right on the gear lever.

If you get some metal with holes in it and some nuts and bolts you can probably reposition the cable support so the existing cable works correctly

What is the history of this fault?

Part numbers can be found at the ePER link on this forum

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm sorry, I think I didn't explained myself correctly, is like 5th and 6th are far to the left, means that I cannot make the 5th and 6th go to the right, 1st and 2nd are basically where reverse should be (imagine how hard is to put reverse)

Is like the cable is too short or not adjusted correctly to place the gear knob in the right place.

I already tried doing what the instructions said (well I think I did it correctly)

1.) Block the transmission using a 5mm tool

3.) Leave open the auto adjust device on the cable

2.) Rotate the gear knob and place it under its position to block it

3.) Block the auto adjust device

4.) Release the gear knob

5.) Release the transmission by removing the 5mm tool

Unfortunately I can't find a video explaining the steps or have another guide to compare if the steps are done correctly.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-54-05-55_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-54-05-55_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-53-50-63_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-53-50-63_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-54-29-14_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-16-14-54-29-14_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 43
Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm sorry, I think I didn't explained myself correctly, is like 5th and 6th are far to the left, means that I cannot make the 5th and 6th go to the right, 1st and 2nd are basically where reverse should be (imagine how hard is to put reverse)

Is like the cable is too short or not adjusted correctly to place the gear knob in the right place.

I already tried doing what the instructions said (well I think I did it correctly)

1.) Block the transmission using a 5mm tool

3.) Leave open the auto adjust device on the cable

2.) Rotate the gear knob and place it under its position to block it

3.) Block the auto adjust device

4.) Release the gear knob

5.) Release the transmission by removing the 5mm tool

Unfortunately I can't find a video explaining the steps or have another guide to compare if the steps are done correctly.

Thanks in advance
I think there is only a few cm of adjustment on the cable. It sounds like you cannot adjust that cable for that car

Maybe you have the cable for the earlier punto?

I think there is only a few cm of adjustment on the cable. It sounds like you cannot adjust that cable for that car

Maybe you have the cable for the earlier punto?

The earlier punto versión has the same adjustment cable and fittings?

On the website you shared, I couldn't find the grande punto.

I wanted to dismount it and check the spare part number that is installed at the moment.

I'd the earlier punto has the same cable only shorter then it's a possibility that the older owner installed the wrong spare part.

The car was on hold and not being used by an older person since 2019 then COVID hitted, I bought it with this problem hoping to just adjust it.

The earlier punto versión has the same adjustment cable and fittings?

On the website you shared, I couldn't find the grande punto.

I wanted to dismount it and check the spare part number that is installed at the moment.

I'd the earlier punto has the same cable only shorter then it's a possibility that the older owner installed the wrong spare part.

The car was on hold and not being used by an older person since 2019 then COVID hitted, I bought it with this problem hoping to just adjust it.
Sorry for creating parts confusion. I suppose my link was for the evo. .

The only certain way to check the part is to compare it with the correct part. If you take the part to shop or dealer who has the part they are almost certainly going to allow you to compare your part with the one they have in stock.

What about the position of the bracket holding the cable? Has it been reversed?

Back