General gear change!!!

Currently reading:
General gear change!!!

loislane1987

hi guys...not sure if this is a problem but... whilst the car is in motion and i dip the clutch and select 1st gear there is a slight rattle/grind. this does not happen in any oother gear nor does it happen if the car is stationary and i select 1st gear.....can anyone help, is this normal or is it a problem??? Thanks in advaance x Lois x

Great, thank you, puts my mind at rest...only just bought the car and i already have to change the water pump :(

Thanks Colin, my dad said exactly the same. He says im just a worrier, i tend to worry about little things. Every car is different and its probably just because its new to me and its different to my old car. Lovely to drive though! x Lois x

There's no synchroniser on first, that's why you have to come to a dead stop before you can use it.

All the Fiat gearboxes weve split here over the years have had syncro in 1st. If it didnt youd have schoolboy tearing at the lights like someone not engaging reverse properly and a lot of sheared 1st gears. Reverse is the only gear without a syncro ring (unless you have a Lambo). Its a safety feature so you dont accidentaly put it in first when driving along at normal cruising speed, nothing to worry about. If you want to continue engaging first while moving (not recomended btw) try double clutching, its easier for the box that way :)

Back