Technical Gear box change and ratios

Currently reading:
Technical Gear box change and ratios

Hi,

Just popped over from the barchetta section,

I have a Barchetta and will soon be adding a Turbo conversion, my question is can i change my gearbox to one of the coupes or another fiats as i feel the B's is quite short and want to have longer gears especially 5th.

Many thanks for yr comments on the matter.

hello,
It depends on whether the box will mate to the engine, The Ratio's on my 2.0 20v HGT, which is the same box and engine as a coupe 20V N/A are a little high reving in 5th when at motorway speeds.
The coupe 20v turbo has much longer ratio's which is perfectly suited to the torque of the turbo engine. However I'm not sure how you would get round the driveshafts as they will be bigger than yours.

It might be possible that the Coupe 2.0 16v Turbo box would fit. It might be an idea to post this question on www.fccuk.org/forum regarding the coupe parts and compatability.

Think that i'm right in saying that the Barachetta is based from the Punto chassis and uses the same engine as found in the punto 1.8 HGT.
it might be worth having a look in the punto section to see what gearboxes they are adapting when doing turbo conversions.

as bridges has said, if any i should think the 16v box would be the only one that may fit but its still a different engine family so who knows.

the 1.8 punto HGT is the same engine as yours but no idea if the gearbox is any different.

there is also the 1.8 marea which may have a longer ratio box

Ry

Back