Technical Gas tank replacement. 1982 fiat spider

Currently reading:
Technical Gas tank replacement. 1982 fiat spider

etopgun

I replaced my 1982 fiat spider(fuel-injected) gas tank, and now it won't start.

question#1 If I disconnect the hose at the fuel pump "Input" side, is fuel supposed to freely flow out of the hose from the gas tank? I do not have any gas flow from the tank (out of the hose)?

question#2 when I disconnect the hose "Out" of the fuel pump and turn the key should the pump strongly spew gas out of the pump? When I do this, it just kinda sputters.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You
etopgun

I replaced my 1982 fiat spider(fuel-injected) gas tank, and now it won't start.

question#1 If I disconnect the hose at the fuel pump "Input" side, is fuel supposed to freely flow out of the hose from the gas tank? I do not have any gas flow from the tank (out of the hose)?

question#2 when I disconnect the hose "Out" of the fuel pump and turn the key should the pump strongly spew gas out of the pump? When I do this, it just kinda sputters.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You
etopgun
Just a thought, if it has flow and return to the tank, have the pipes got reversed as the return will not reach the fuel in the tank wheras the flow outlet pipe where it sits in the tank should be approx 1/2 inch from bottom of tank. All this assumes replacement tank built same as original.
Apart from that with ignition off only fuel already in the pipe will run out if any unless hose is lower than the height of fuel in the tank due to gravity.
With the fuel cap off and low pressure air blown gently back into the tank via the outlet hose you should hear bubbles in the fuel, whereas the return pipe should only make air blowing noise.
I assume you can hear your fuel pump working.

Back