Technical Funny noises

Currently reading:
Technical Funny noises

ScottieCinq

My Cinqy is making funny noises in 1st and reverse, sounds like something is being chewed up!
Looked at the sticky and it seems that it could be the rear engine/gearbox mount. How easy is it to replace, I have no real knowledge of cars and it took me ages to fit a clutch cable!

Has anyone done any guides for this? Will I find it in my Haynes manual and how can I be sure it is the mount?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Scott:)

The 'usual' mount is the one on the nearside of the car, just under the passengers right foot, assuming your passenger has her feet on the floor, not the windscreen. (oops, mind running away again, must be my age)

The mount is fairly easily removed, but the car must be supported on axle stands. A trolley or bottle jack can be placed under the arm that attaches the mount to the powertrain, the mount loosened, then the jack let down a little to allow removal of the mount.

refitting is the reverse of removal.

Cheers

D

Grumpy old git going fast downhill rather than downhill fast!!

a new mount is about £10-12 from fiat;)

sig.jpg

Thanks guys, knew you wouldn't let me down:D
How do I know if it's definitely that? Will I definitely need ramps or can I just crawl underneath and do it that way?

Cheers,

Scott.

Yu'll want to use ramps if yu not using them....its damn difficult to crawl past the 899cc sump!!

Tom (AofB)

GrpN Catback Exhaust system on...rattles like f**k, but very nice!!!

ramps and spanners are fine, if you've got an abarth kit on as ghost suggests then place a couple of wood blocks in front of the ramps to drive up onto beforehand.

If you're using a trolley jack, make sure you use some axle stands too, never trust a jack on it's own when you're working under a car

sig.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like my weekend is sorted, looked in the Haynes and there's no pics of the munt so guess I'll have to go and buy one form Fiat and compare it with underneath and see if it looks broken.

It's not got a kit on and it's not exactly pristine so a bit of bumper scraping should be ok. The last time I used ramps, around 5 years ago it took me bloody ages just to get the car on as they kept moving. Any tips?

Thanks a lot folks again, stay on-line the weekend, no doubt I'll be requiring assistance!:D

I still haven't got this sorted so rang Fiat to see how much they'd charge to fit the mount. They told me I'd need to book it in for them to look at as it could be a CV joint or a number of things, they wanted £56 + VAT just to look at it. Shocked!

Anyone know any decent garages that will have a look at it in Bristol as to be honest even if I do get it on the ramps I won't have a clue what I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Back