Technical funny noise

Currently reading:
Technical funny noise

kadw0901

my puntos making a horrible metalish noise from 1000-3000 revs making it sound like a diesel help?

its when im pulling off mostly its a 54 plate, 1.2 active 8v with 60k on clock and it sounds like a cheap metal noise and yeah does tap alot

What do you mean if the bolts come off that's it? Mine is making the same noise at 1800 revs in all gears. I got told that it was my manifold cover and to either wait till my mot or till it drops off

What do you mean if the bolts come off that's it? Mine is making the same noise at 1800 revs in all gears. I got told that it was my manifold cover and to either wait till my mot or till it drops off

you got to wonder what sort of advice that is.

As Ziggy says.

Only 4 bolts on top, 1 or 2 on bottom near lambda sensor.

Plenty of release oil on when it's cold, go easy trying to undo or you'll shear the bolts

Then fit new with penny washers to grip the manifold, that'll stop it rattling and annoying you.

Manifold Cover - Is the Manifold heat shield

Mine too rattles Only at a certain point - to test open bonnet let the engine rev - hold the cover down with a piece or wood or a screwdriver and see if the rattle stops
if so - problem found

The metal rubs away around the bolts - as a result it rattles
After a while it falls off - or its ripped off due to the noise

My last car lost its cover - ran perfectly fine without it
Current car - i've removed and refitted it when doing some work
its worked its bolts loose and gone - now it rattles
Not a biggie tho

Ziggy

you got to wonder what sort of advice that is.

As Ziggy says.

Only 4 bolts on top, 1 or 2 on bottom near lambda sensor.

Plenty of release oil on when it's cold, go easy trying to undo or you'll shear the bolts

Then fit new with penny washers to grip the manifold, that'll stop it rattling and annoying you.

Is it a DIY job or does it need to be done at a garage? Also where is the manifold?

DIY. They are M6 bolts. Although given that you don't know where the manifold is....

The manifold is the exhaust manifold. If you follow the exhaust back to the engine, you;ll find it shrouded by a bit of metal that acts like a heat shield.

So look at the air filter, towards you, down, tin can heatshield over a series of pipes leaving the engine.

Back