Technical Funny noise

Currently reading:
Technical Funny noise

percy32

My cinquecento sporting is driving me mad. I have a loud howling/squealing noise when I accelerate, especially when the car is cold, and I can't get rid of it. I had the fan belt replaced at the garage and when I picked up the car it seemed fine, then 5 mintes later as I accelerated at traffic lights, the squealing started again. I went back and they retightened the fan belt. The car was fine when I drove off, but two days later the squealing started again. Am I just dealing with dodgy workmanship, or could there be another cause? The only problem is that if I go back to the garage and complain, by the time I get there the car will be warm and the squealing will have stopped.

Peut-être vous pouvez laisser la voit au garage pour quelques heures, car la voiture va être pas déjà chauffée, et vous pouvez montrer aux méchaniques votre problème. mais pour moi, ça semble comme une problème avec la 1er vitesse ou l'arbre d'entraînement...

Cinqmeister
Alias: BIG BROTHER

http://www.channel9.tk
'94 Cinquecento Basica (USA Spec) 0,9l

They all slightly squel at times but only slightly.
The belt might be a bit too tight, try loosen it off yourself

I have considerably more mods, THAN YOU!​
voldar02.gif
Pssssst my cars for sale​

I had the same problem about three months ago with my sei - a squealing noise that went when the engine had warmed up. Fiat said it was the alternator bearings. The alternator was changed under warranty and the noise disappeared.

Schumacher Sei

My cinq did the same. I thought it was the alternator / belt too. I removed that and drove without it and I still get the noise.

In my case it is only from cold for about 3 minutes and changes pitch with the engine revs, even if I am not moving. I think it is linked either to the water pump or perhaps something on the timing belt or tensioner..

I plan to take off the timing cover and check again.

Right you lot listen up....I may be wrong but having had this problem on three FIRE engined Fiats in the past year I am 99.9% sure that the problem is the timing belt tensioner... changing them worked for me! Remember to change timing belt at the same time.
The squeal will usually be when under load and when cold in morning.
Given that the tensioner is only about £18 its worth changing every time the timing belt is replaced, especially if you pay a garage for this work.
Getting access to change belt and tensioner is a little tight on cinquecento the wheel arch liner has to come out (stripping all paint off as it comes). Cut the front corner out of the liner and screw fix plates to join the two bits together again on refitting. this will allow only the front section to be removed foeor futuer acces saving time and paint

OOh my Cinq does the same when cold, a high pitch but quiet-ish squeal from 2500-3000 RPM, but it goes after 2 mins! The belt thingy and blab blab timing wotsits were changed 7k ago so lame to Fiat! I presume this is doing no damage to the car so im jus gonna ignore it??

Cinq Newbie!

96 N Cinqo Sporting
Starter Red

Couple of points...the timing belt can squeal (well more of a hummy whine) a little if its too tight....and don't ask what is too tight because without a setting tool no-one can be sure but usually set it slacker than you think it should be.
As to the tensioners I have run them for quite a while when noisy but by the time they are at that stage its as well to replace..you can of course take the old one out and check it runs free and even but by the time you've done that you are as well sticking in a new one.

Back