Technical Fuel Tank Removal

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Tank Removal

Stiggles

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so not sure if posting in the right place?

Anyway,

My other half's Mk2 Punto has failed the MOT and need some welding done underneath. I can weld, however the fuel tank needs to come out. Is there a particular way of doing this?

Cheers,
Stiggles

Hi and WELCOME TO THE FORUM :wave:

you are in the correct place (y)

Removing the fuel tank isnt too bad, its more time consuming than difficult. Its a lot easier on ramps or a lift if you have access to one.

Lift rear seat and disconnect the fuel pipes and wiring sensor (loads of people forget that and snap them!)

Disconnect the hand brake cables.

Disconnect the exhaust from the start of the centre section back.

Disconnect the two pipes in the drivers side rear wheel arch

Then undo the tank retaining bolts.

Obviously empty the tank as much as you can before hand, and all the usual health and safety stuff re don't smoke whilst doing it blah blah lol

Think that's all, been a while since Ive done one.

Thanks for your reply! Is it necessary to undo the handbrake cables?

Cheers,
Stiggles

Hi,

Yeah they will get in the way, can just disconnect them at the rear axel end and leave them hanging.

Alan

Hi and WELCOME TO THE FORUM 👋

you are in the correct place (y)

Removing the fuel tank isnt too bad, its more time consuming than difficult. Its a lot easier on ramps or a lift if you have access to one.

Lift rear seat and disconnect the fuel pipes and wiring sensor (loads of people forget that and snap them!)

Disconnect the hand brake cables.

Disconnect the exhaust from the start of the centre section back.

Disconnect the two pipes in the drivers side rear wheel arch

Then undo the tank retaining bolts.

Obviously empty the tank as much as you can before hand, and all the usual health and safety stuff re don't smoke whilst doing it blah blah lol

Think that's all, been a while since Ive done one.
Any photos on this?

Back