Technical fuel smell/leak outside the car when tank is full

Currently reading:
Technical fuel smell/leak outside the car when tank is full

gingel

fuel smell/leak outside the car after driving when tank is full

Hi
I have the punto Mk2b 8v, and for a long time i only filled about an half of tank, and there was no problem.
Recently i started to fill the tank to full, and after driving, when going outside the car i can smell fuel,
mostly on the rear right side where the fuel filler is.

So i got under the car at that area, and i can see the fuel tank, and when i touched it i felt it's a little wet, and it's fuel.

I found a picture of a punto fuel tank, and i think it's the same like my punto, and i marked with arrows where i can feel it's
a little wet after driving for a while.
There is a plastic pipe (i marked it with a red square), which i think is a breather pipe,
and i can feel it's a little wet where it connect to the fuel tank.
I also feel it's wet under it.
I also see traces of fuel on the left side of that breather. (marked it in the picture).

In that fuel tank picture, i can also see a small black pipe on the top of the tank, which i can't see from under the car.
What is that? can it also leak from there?

The problem occurs only when the tank is full more than 3/4, and only when driving.
After the car is parked for a while, it's dry and there is no smell.

I don't have a fuel smell inside the car, but i checked the fuel pump inspection opening under the rear seat,
and it's dry, and no smell of fuel there.

I went to the garage, and they think maybe it's from that breather pipe.
They said they need to take fuel tank off the car to be sure.
Is it necessary to take fuel tank off the car, to replace that breather pipe?

In the meantime i'll fill only a 1/2 of tank, and see if it's stays dry like before.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back