Technical Fuel Pump.

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Pump.

kipster

Could anyone advise me how to remove a fuel pump from a mk 1 Punto, i would be most graretful for any help.

Thanks.

i assume that you are having trouble with the large plastic ring that holds the fuel pump in the tank.
be careful when dissconnecting the fuel pipes as they become very brittle with age and will snap under the slightest pressure and label them to be sure that you reconnect them the right way
then disconnect the electrics
here comes the tricky part
fiat have a special tool to remove the ring so assuming you dont have access to one of those
you could try tapping the outer ring with a large screw driver and hammer but that is a bit crude and can easily break
I found that by using a pair of hedge clippers you can place the points against two of the ridges and use the handles as a lever, that worked for me
good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice mate, the hammer and screw driver didn't work. Some plonker broke the plastic fuel fitting and botched it back together, that's why i'm having to remove the damn thing in the first place.
Now off to the shed to look for a special tool:) .

Thanks for the advice mate, the hammer and screw driver didn't work. Some plonker broke the plastic fuel fitting and botched it back together, that's why i'm having to remove the damn thing in the first place.
Now off to the shed to look for a special tool:) .

i had the to do similar job some time back as said before every thing is brittle with age, i landed up snapping off part of the top unit:bang:
i ended up sourcing another pump:cry: dam i remember that day
lesson learnt & all that:confused:

I managed to get the swine off, i used a big hammer and a wooden drift, once the seal was broken it was plain sailing. Trying to find a replacement was equally as difficult, the scrap yard's were depleted of the buggers. I ended up repairing the old pump, i was careful and used Araldite and a small plastic sleeve as an inner, all ok so far.

Thanks for the advice, i appreciate it.:cool:

Back