Technical Fuel Pump Seal

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Pump Seal

herut

Hi All:
I cleaned my fuel pump and sending unit, put it back together, and the car is idling fine. BUT, I see that I have a leak of petrol around the locking ring (on right side only) at the top of the tank where the pump assembly fits in. I did re-use the old rubber gasket, and yes, it was quite difficult to shove back in, but I twisted the assembly, lined up the arrow heads, and the assembly sat flat before I screwed on the locking ring. Couple of questions:

1. Must one ALWAYS use a new rubber gasket/seal?
2. I used a home made 'wrench' and tapped the ring around tighter with a big screw driver and hammer. Q: Perhaps I did not tighten it down tightly enough? (ring appears to be flat with the assembly top.)
3. I understand one cannot use any silicon sealant on the rubber gasket due to deterioration by the fuel. But is there a gasket sealer which IS safe for use in a fuel pump environment?

Not even sure that I can buy the gasket seal itself; didn't find one on ebay.

I don't want to drive the car while there is exposed fuel in the boot. Thanks for your help!
Jeff

I reused old seal and the open/tightening method was block of wood and a hammer.
No leaks and there is vacuum in the tank when fueling up so the seal is good.

I remember having no problem refitting the pump, aligned it and just tapped it tight. Maybe open it and move it around until it seals?
Sure none of the connectors are leaking? Had mine pop off at winter storage...

Thanks Neverth. I gave a couple of more taps with the hammer and the leaking has stopped. But, in view of the fact that my attempt at 'cleaning' the fuel pump didn't solve anything, and I'm going to have to replace the pump & assembly, I was still wondering whether it is advisable to use any type of 'sealant' when I re-seal it next week. Anybody know of anything suitable for a fuel pump housing gasket? Thanks!
Jeff

Back