Technical Fuel pump failing?

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel pump failing?

SnowPunto

I think my fuel pump might be failing :( The past couple of days I lose power when taking off sometimes then it will jump forward or bunnyhop and splutter. My question is, does anyone have any idea how much it will be to buy one and have it fitted? Also how much time do I have.... I have a 2002 Mk2, thanks!

Why do you think it is a fuel pump? Sounds more like erratic ignition to me.
When you switch on the ignition, can you hear a short "hum" from behind/under the rear seats?

Why do you think it is a fuel pump? Sounds more like erratic ignition to me.
When you switch on the ignition, can you hear a short "hum" from behind/under the rear seats?

I haven't noticed any noises to be honest, but I will listen next time. Sometimes of lately I have to turn the key for longer before the engine ignites, I don't know if that is related?

Do yellow "CODE" or "Injection" lamps switch on when the engine staggers?

I would start with the most common culprits - spark plugs, spark plug cables, ignition coils.

When my fuel pump failed, there was smell of petrol in the cabin. The fuel pump was leaking a small amount of fuel from around the rotor.

I bought a replacement for approx. 60€ (should be ~50 quid) and I fitted it on my own (it is fitted on the fuel tank -- accessible under the back seat).

When my fuel pump failed, there was smell of petrol in the cabin. The fuel pump was leaking a small amount of fuel from around the rotor.

I bought a replacement for approx. 60€ (should be ~50 quid) and I fitted it on my own (it is fitted on the fuel tank -- accessible under the back seat).

Oh dear.... today I noticed a petrol smell inside the car after filling up, had to leave door open for a while as it was bad :( The garage I took it too couldn't find anything wrong with the pump, and apparently it's low mileage to be failing (around 83k) but tried to replace it anyway. It was stuck fast to the fuel tank.... so they advised going to a Fiat dealer it I wanna change it but they think the fuel tank will have to come out as well :(

No need to remove the fuel tank, as far as I remember. The pump was tightly fastened on it, though. Normally you need a special tool to unscrew, but I managed it with two thick screwdrivers and two people hitting gently and simultaneously with two hammers on the fastening lid's gripping (not sure how to call the surrounding surface of that rim).

Ok, so here's my experience:

As I have reported to you folks here, I installed a LPG kit on my Punto Mk II (2002), to be precise the BRC Sequent Plug & Drive Evo back in May 2017.

The car was doing fine and I was happy, til I started having issues with ignition such as these shown by the poster above in his video.

The car would start then the engine would die. I would restart and the engine would work okay but then it would dies as soon as I stepped on the gas to move the car.

I was very troubled, I thought it was bad LPG installation, I perused forums etc and then I went to see a friend knowledgeable with cars. So, this friend of mine accurately diagnosed and solved my issue. It took him 5 minutes.

So, my friend pointed out that my unleaded gas level was at 20% and said that this was the cause of my issues. He also advised that I should go and fill up the car up to 40% and see if the issue persists.

Indeed I went and filled up the car from a Gas Station that I was sure that they didn't mix the gas they sold with illegal additives (very common here in Greece, gas quality is very bad b/c almost every vendor mix their gas with illegal additives in order to increase their profits) and I specifically asked for "Unleaded 100" (premium quality).

My issues went away as soon as I filled the car up to 40% and have not had any issues since then. My friend advised that I keep the gas level above 35% at all times to avoid having such issues.

Then the other day I was reading the car's manual and it states that one should never allow the car's gas level to get to the "reserve" level but one should always keep it well above.

If you see the video again, notice how the Puntisto above has allowed his gas level to reach "reserve" or lower, which is probably why he is having issues.

Oh dear.... today I noticed a petrol smell inside the car after filling up, had to leave door open for a while as it was bad :( The garage I took it too couldn't find anything wrong with the pump, and apparently it's low mileage to be failing (around 83k) but tried to replace it anyway. It was stuck fast to the fuel tank.... so they advised going to a Fiat dealer it I wanna change it but they think the fuel tank will have to come out as well :(
Heat the cap with a heat gun, I almost had to melt it before got it moving :D

How close are you to Helsinki? I made a tool to open mine which works well.

From what you say I am not sure your problem is the pump though.

How close are you to Helsinki? I made a tool to open mine which works well.

From what you say I am not sure your problem is the pump though.

Thanks for the suggestion but we have actually left Finland now and are in the UK! It is a strange thing, it's only really causing problems now first thing when it's cold, then it's more or less fine :S

Next time you go to cold start turn on the ignition and listen to the pump run and cut out.
Switch off ignition and back on again and see is the pump different and then go for a start.
I have come across pumps that needed a kick to get them pumping and a second shot of the start sequence can do it. Temporary fix.

Hey guys ive got the same issue as in the video but it happens at aall levels for fuel in the tank, ive already replaced plugs, leads and coil packs any ideas on where to go next as its been going on for a while.

Back