Technical Fuel Leak on 1.2l 54reg Punto, advice please!

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Leak on 1.2l 54reg Punto, advice please!

Spookyb329

Just been investigating a petrol smell from our Punto, traced to somewhere around the tank seal.

When the pump is running it almost sounds open to air, there is evidence of fuel around the tank seal. It was filled yesterday until the pump cut off, so suspected breather at first.

However, whilst the pump was running I noticed a wisp of what I assume was fuel vapour, but after I stopped the engine I looked again and noticed that the white plastic where the wiring loom plugs in has a brown stripe and has melted slightly down the length of the pin! Now this obviously has put the car out of action as fuel, fuel vapour plus an overheating plug is very bad news. I'm wondering if the overheating pin has melted a small hole in the tank cap, or more likely, the tank seal is leaking badly and fuel has got into the plug, shorting out the pins.

I don't have a drive and live on a hill with a camber, plus I suspect I shouldn't be opening the tank cap with a full tank of fuel. Anyone got an idea of what needs to be replaced/cost at an independent garage to fix?

Back