Technical Fuel leak in Multijet filter housing

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel leak in Multijet filter housing

Dermot

Hi all,
I have a 2006 Multipla multijet diesel (120hp) with 82,000mls. Last week I noticed a slight smell of diesel followed by the tell tale signs of a couple of oily patches apperainf on the tarmac. The fuel leak appeared to be coming from the filter area. It is one of the newer plastic type canisters with snap on pipe fittings and a replaceable filter element rather than screw on metal filter. At first I thought the leak was from one of the pipe fittings but removal of the whole unit failed to show anything obvious. On refitting, I discovered it only leaks when the engine is running (i.e. positive pressure in unit). While its next to impossible to see the leak in situ, it seems to be coming from the bottom of the casing where the water sensor unit is clipped in.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is it possible to reseal the water sensor unit or will I have to replace the whole filter housing which is probably expensive??

Sorry for posting my original query inadvertantly twice - I cannot see how to delete one. Anyway, my local dealer tells me the fuel filter housing is €200 (about st £180) +Vat. He says the water sensor unit at the base is available seperately at about €50. The leak is probably the seal between these two but I dont know how they dismantle. They couls be some sort of snap fit assembly. Anybody got a parts diagram even? I think the EPER documentation linked on this site only shows the older filter assembly. Any ideas what sealant could be used if I manage to dismantle the components?

Sorry I can't answer your questions but if I was in your position, I'd remove the leaking unit, get a cheapie inline fuel filter from a motor factor and you're back on the road.
Temporary fix only but buys you precious time to work on the unit.

Snap! 2006 1.9 MJTD 120,000 km. Nice name by the way :) First post so I hope this works.

I have exactly the same problem, fuel is leaking from around the water sensor. I disassembled the housing to find a plastic ring pressed down on to a circular castle arrangement at the base. Inside that there's a float that has been pressed in, which I can't remove, so I can't see or get at the sensor. The connector isn't available separately but I don't know how it's sealed.

The best price I've got for the official FIAT part (p/n 51779083) from a main dealer is €219 inc. VAT. The exploded view in EPER seems to show two fuel lines at the side whereas mine has only one and doesn't show any way of repairing/replacing the connector. Does your's have one or two connectors on the side?

My filter is a UFI 55.145.20 but UFI only sells a 55.145.00. Opie Oils in the UK sells the latter opieoils.co.uk/p-8832-fuel-filter-ufi-complete-diesel-filter-5514500.aspx (sorry, I can't post URLs in my first few posts) for £83.42 + shipping but again their image seems to show two side-connectors. I've asked them if the image is generic and hope to hear good things back from them.

With regard to repair, I've tried rescue tape (which melted) and PVC cement which can't cure because there's no part to twist to activate the bond, so I'm looking at the replacement route...

I think I've figure out how to include a photo now so here's a pic of the offending article.

IMG_06251.jpg

Fuel is leaking out around the white connector at the base. Note the single connector on the side.

The news from Opie Oils is not good :( According to UFI, they say, the FIAT/UFI filter has two connectors on the side... our Multi, it would seem, is a rare beast indeed. Five years old and I can't get a part :mad:

Right, I've emailed UFI themselves in Italy to see what their take on this debacle is. I wonder if they'll deign to send me a reply. :bang:

Back