Technical Fuel filler cap problem

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel filler cap problem

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
Hey all.... I have a problem with my Brava's fuel filler cap.... The key won't turn all the way to lock it... I can only put the cap and twist it untill it makes the cracking noise and then I cannot turn the key but clockwise and remove it.... If I twist the key anti-clockawise, it won't turn all the way and I cannot remove it.
I already sprayed some WD40 inside it but no change.....
Can someone help?
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
custard boy said:
could try stripping the barrel but i would be inclined to replace the cap.

Thanx for your reply but I can't buy anything now cos I just spent 450$ on my heater.
Besides If I replace it, wouldn't I have to get a new key for it? Or I can use my key for a new cap?
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
trev m said:

Thanx for your reply..... So as described in your pics, can I just open it up and fix it and then reassemble it or will it break? In Pic 2 does anything break?
Or will everything just snap into place when I reassemble it?
Thanxalot.
 

trev m

New member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
63
Location
United Kingdom.
TheCROW said:
Thanx for your reply..... So as described in your pics, can I just open it up and fix it and then reassemble it or will it break? In Pic 2 does anything break?
Or will everything just snap into place when I reassemble it?
Thanxalot.

It will not break just open up remove the clip push out the barrel refit

If the cap is not locking you will need a new cap
At the bottom of pic 3 you see a little plastic bar and a spring that snaps and you can not repair it

I have changed my fuel cap
Trev
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
Folks, is there a way I can fix this without having to buy anything?
I'm flat broke.
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
MATT 68 said:
What dyou wanna replace it for ? it seals if you turn till it clicks! i dont think ive ever locked mine!

I'd feel more comfortable and assured knowing that my fuel tank is locked. You know there are lots of bad people out there and who knows what they could do.... Have you ever thought about that? Or maybe you live in a safe environment.....
Thanx for your reply man.... What would you recommend?
 

MATT 68

Banned
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
1,748
Location
Cannock, Staffs
TheCROW said:
I'd feel more comfortable and assured knowing that my fuel tank is locked. You know there are lots of bad people out there and who knows what they could do.... Have you ever thought about that? Or maybe you live in a safe environment.....
Thanx for your reply man.... What would you recommend?


In all honesty i would just leave it till you can afford a new one:idea:
I dont know where you live but unless youve upset anyone im not aware of anybody putting crap in tanks just for the fun of it.:( They cant nick your fuel anymore unless they pierce your fuel tank.I really do think your worrying over nothing imo(y)
 

Jayjj

New member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
104
i think it will be fine, i had a punto for over a year and the fuel cap never have a key lock on it, unless you tell one of your enemy that its not locked i think you will be fine.
 

Andy_sx

New member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
1,972
Location
Isle of Sheppey kent
it does lock with just clicking it into position.

it could be your key is worn and wont work in that lock barrel, do you have another key to try on it? have this with my passenger door atm, and also had it on one of my fiestas
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
Thanx for your replies folks, I'll check it using my other red key.
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
trev m said:
It will not break just open up remove the clip push out the barrel refit

If the cap is not locking you will need a new cap
At the bottom of pic 3 you see a little plastic bar and a spring that snaps and you can not repair it

I have changed my fuel cap
Trev

Hey Trev,
I disassembled my cap yesterday and didn't see anything wrong... Although I'm not sure about the little plastic part that sits on the spring...
I'd buy a new cap but the thing is that it comes with its own key and I don't want to add another key to my keychain :)
Plus I cannot find the same shape of the cap that I have, used nor new...
By any chance do you have a clearer pic of that little white plastic part so I can compare it to mine so I can be sure if it's broken or not?
Thanks.
 
OP
OP
TheCROW

TheCROW

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
466
Can anyone take some clear photos of this thing please? In case someone has a spare one, I need to see its shape. I couldn't find one at the scrappies to exchange the key barrel with :bang: they all look different than mine.
Mine is like the one posted by Trev.
Thanxall.
 
Top