Technical Fuel filler cap lock barrel, remove and swap out

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel filler cap lock barrel, remove and swap out

pilier1

Hi,

The lanyard snapped on the FIAT 500 fuel filler cap and not finding a replacement lanyard I wanted to replace the old cap with a new fuel filler cap with complete lanyard.

The new fuel filler cap comes with a hole for a lock barrel. I wanted to keep the same lock so the ignition keys would lock and unlock the fuel filler cap.

There was very limited information on removing and swapping over the lock barrel on the fuel filler cap on the FIAT (FIAT 500). Using the available information found off the Net I worked out how take apart the fuel filler cap remove the lock barrel and place it into the new fuel filler cap.

Below is the step by step process of the operation, attached are photos of the steps,

1 & 2 removal of the rubber seal
3 prise off the black plastic cap with a flat blade screwdriver
4 lift off black plastic cap
5 break off black plastic tag holding metal U clip.
6 remove metal U clip with flat blade screw driver
7 lift off the white plastic lock/cap
8 push through the barrel of the exposed lock

Insert the barrel into the new cap and using the key align and push the barrel into the correct position where it locks and unlocks properly.

Good luck... :)

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 427
Hi,

The lanyard snapped on the FIAT 500 fuel filler cap and not finding a replacement lanyard I wanted to replace the old cap with a new fuel filler cap with complete lanyard.

The new fuel filler cap comes with a hole for a lock barrel. I wanted to keep the same lock so the ignition keys would lock and unlock the fuel filler cap.

There was very limited information on removing and swapping over the lock barrel on the fuel filler cap on the FIAT (FIAT 500). Using the available information found off the Net I worked out how take apart the fuel filler cap remove the lock barrel and place it into the new fuel filler cap.

Below is the step by step process of the operation, attached are photos of the steps,

1 & 2 removal of the rubber seal
3 prise off the black plastic cap with a flat blade screwdriver
4 lift off black plastic cap
5 break off black plastic tag holding metal U clip.
6 remove metal U clip with flat blade screw driver
7 lift off the white plastic lock/cap
8 push through the barrel of the exposed lock

Insert the barrel into the new cap and using the key align and push the barrel into the correct position where it locks and unlocks properly.

Good luck... :)

Excellent..!! :)

I was anticipating a
'How do I '... and it is something I have not seen or done. :(

So top job..!! :D

Cheers. Charlie

The lanyard snaps usually due to people letting the cap and "bunch" of keys hang down scratching the bodywork rather than hanging the cap from the hook on the inside of the fuel filler cover?

Time also takes its toll. I’ve always hung mine on the hook and the rubber is cracked and will soon break.

Time also takes its toll. I’ve always hung mine on the hook and the rubber is cracked and will soon break.

True, and it also twists itself up as you tighten the cap, then gets shut in the fuel flap.

Our last 500 was developing a maddening fault where the cap would not ‘freewheel’ when locked. As in, you’d hold the cap and twist the key clockwise, then remove the key as always done in the past, but the cap would ‘catch’ and unscrew even when locked - and then, couldn’t be screwed back on again without using the key to unlock (engage) it. Can’t leave the cap unlocked either as the key can’t be taken out with the cap unlocked. I tried dousing it in silicone spray etc. but no change, I think some plastic ring had snapped/snagged inside.

So, had we kept the car, I would have found the above guide very useful to transfer the lock into another cap :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Great Post and I found it very useful. However, if you are exchanging the lock barrel for whatever reason, before anyone follows these instructions, I'd suggest trying your existing key in the newly acquired filler cap!
After swapping the old barrel for a brand new one, I'd inadvertently picked up the old key to use whilst fitting said barrel. Was a few minutes before realisation struck and quickly checked I hadn't refitted the old barrel, but alas no. So, both old and new keys worked just fine.
Not so secure methinks??

Back