Technical Fuel conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel conversion

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
Hey all, i want to send my bravo overseas and would like to convert from from unleaded fuel to the older super, what would i need to do to be able to use super is it just a case or removing the cat and filling it with super or is there more to it than that?

jug

blessed are the apostates
in most countries super is unleaded, super unleaded, then you get regular, which is regular unleaded.

leaded petrol will kill the cat but that doesnt mean you need to remove the cat, just leave it there, it wont hurt. if you will be using lead replacement petrol then it doesnt matter, that wont hurt the cat.

where are you taking your car? it cant be in the 'developed world' if they still sell leaded fuel. even australia have stopped selling it and thats the graveyard of old jap cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bandido41

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
in most countries super is unleaded, super unleaded, then you get regular, which is regular unleaded.

leaded petrol will kill the cat but that doesnt mean you need to remove the cat, just leave it there, it wont hurt. if you will be using lead replacement petrol then it doesnt matter, that wont hurt the cat.

where are you taking your car? it cant be in the 'developed world' if they still sell leaded fuel. even australia have stopped selling it and thats the graveyard of old jap cars.

I will be taking it back to South Africa no its not in the 'Developed world' :p they do still sell leaded petrol there and it is (or was when i left 2 and a half years ago) quite a bit cheaper than the unleaded fuel.

jug

SA got rid of leaded fuel last year, i know its hard to believe but they are considered part of the developed world.

jug

phase out began jan 1st 2006, since then no more leaded fuel has been imported or refined in SA, however it took several months for all leaded reserves to be used up so leaded fuel was still available during early 2006.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/31/AR2005123100957.html

if you see leaded fuel for sale it will be LRP rather than leaded fuel so you'll be fine to use it, it wont do any harm.

Tomasso

I will be taking it back to South Africa

But you're not leaving FF, are you? ;)

Does it pay off to ship a car to SA? Also - what about service and parts - are they readily available?

Dunno if fiat brand is at all present there.

OP
OP
bandido41

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
But you're not leaving FF, are you? ;)

Does it pay off to ship a car to SA? Also - what about service and parts - are they readily available?

Dunno if fiat brand is at all present there.

Hell no definitely wont be leaving ff, there are loads of engine parts for my bravo there because the sienna's and the palios have the same engines, Fiat's back home generally have a reputation for being unreliable so i want to take the bravo to show them what a fiat should be like :D to be honest i really love my car to bits and shipping it over will work out about the same as buying a decent (if somewhat slightly older) second hand car but the thing is i know what ive done to my car e.g cambelts exhaust clutch e.t.c so i wont have the hassle/worry of having to do that on another car.

Tomasso

Cool - I really did not think fiat expanded to the SA market.

Will it be the only B/B/M around? You'll be very recognizable!

OP
OP
bandido41

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
Cool - I really did not think fiat expanded to the SA market.

Will it be the only B/B/M around? You'll be very recognizable!

Yes it will that is another one of the reasons that i want to take it, so i can be different :D